Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

Debagging Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Angry Debagging Help needed

I attached a picture of the decal i removed, it was the LX Symbol on my civic. I messed up by not heating the Glue up enough and took some paint with the decal. I am trying to think of a way 1: to cover up for my mistake of taking paint/clear coat off (You can kind of see the mistake in the L), and 2: to remove the rest of the adhesive which seems to want to take paint/clear coat with it when it comes off. If anyone has any ideas that would be great. I have my moms blow drier and i used floss to get it off, just did it too fast. (I hope i posted this in the correct spot, if i need to move it i can) Thanks Again for any help!

Attached Thumbnails Debagging Help needed-img_0283.jpg  
Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 PM
HCF Member

more heat and goof off or some similar product. with a tough rag.

Pepboys and ect sell some sort of perfect match paint, get the right color/year and do a few light coats until it looks good.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:02 AM
HCF Member

With stubborn adhesive, I've used PB Blast (or WD-40) to get it off (think faded, 17-year-old pinstripes that were crusted on). Worked great, but you'll need to wash the area with dish soap once it's done to remove the solvent. Then re-wash the area with car soap to make sure the dish soap is off. Then re-wax it since the WD-40 will strip off the wax (but not the paint).

Old 02-27-2012, 08:04 AM

I tried heating it up for like 2-3 minutes using a hair drier and went to auto zone and got some bug and tar remover and it didn't help much. I got desperate and started using a knife to pry some of it off, but decided that was too Risky. I think what happened was that the previous owner repainted the rear bumper (the same color) and sprayed clear coat around the symbols and didn't take them off so there is a line of clear coat around them and he put the badges on top of the old paint. Not 100% sure, but i think the car has been re-painted.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:55 PM

Has the area been painted before or is it original paint? If it's the original paint purchase some aerosol paint thinner and it will take all the glue off and any gunk left by the decal itself. But if the area has been painted before the paint thinner will take off the paint so be careful. Automotive aerosol paint thinner is used at a lot of dealerships before a car is waxed and put on the lot. It gets rid of over-spray from paint work, road grime, glue, break-dust you name it.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:18 AM

I forgot that before i purchased the car, we think the other person had got in an accident with it and i think the residue was clear coat or something from them painting it. Thanks for the advice, i just ended up putting the badge back on the car so i didn't have to repaint it.