Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

engine makeover, lol

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 01:36 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: engine makeover, lol

and like that bag of skittles things wasn't a smart *** retort

Old 02-25-2007, 01:47 AM
HCF Member

Either your implying with that skittles remark that either I have a bunch of fruity colors on my car. Hence 2 colors are a lot....apparently. Or eliminating practically all the colors on the spectrum except for brown and black as colors that aren't 'tacky'.

I'm just defending myself and my color choices. You should have stated it as an opinion but you didn't in your post.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:44 AM
HCF Member

To answer the previous question, No, it's not that hard to paint, and if your only doing a single color it would be a sinch, less then a half a day's work in all. I chose to polish down the letters and then hand paint them with my yellow, which took some time, by the end of the word honda, i was already able to start again on the H with a 2nd coat, so I was laying on the ground painting like a 6 year old for several hours.

However it turned out pretty good.

I did not use the clear gloss, I just honestly didn't like the look it gave me, and I am starting to dislike the manifold guard's paint job. Even though I used the High Heat version of enamel for that, its still burning off quite a bit when it gets hot. I ordered a new shiny one to replace my old rusty one anyway, but I wanted to give the paint a shot at making it look even better. They are 18 bucks through a stealership if you screw it up, or get worried.

Last thing I really want is my car to catch on fire because of a bad engine paint job.

However the valve cover never gets that hot really, unless you overheat your car, so the regular engine enamel is plenty there, and on water pumps, dizzys, whatever else is cooled by the cooling system, or won't heat up much.

I would use caution if painting the manifold guard, let it set up for a few days, and then heat/cool it several times to let some of the stuff burn off.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:04 PM
HCF Member

ya, I probably wont do the manifold gaurd. I'm planning on getting a header in the spring sometime.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:10 PM
Super Cereal Admin

here's the easy way to have different-colored lettering

1) After cleaning the valve cover, spray the letters (it doesn't matter about overspray onto the rest of the cover) the color you want them to be. If you want them to be polished, skip this step entirely.

2) After the paint is dry, take chapstick and rub it across the letters.

3) Spray down the entire manifold (don't worry about the letters.. .they'll be fine) the color you want it to be

4) After all the paint is dry, wipe away the chapstick. It will have blocked all the paint from getting through to the letters. Now, if you wish, you can clear-coat or whatever.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:38 PM
HCF Member

thats the coolest idea i think I have ever heard, I will be trying that soon !

Old 02-25-2007, 02:20 PM
HCF Member

Jesus, Live_4it, the edit button is your friend

Old 02-25-2007, 02:36 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Live_4it

ok how about u reread your own posts, your the one baseing your opinions as facts. Blue and green aren't pleasing colors on a car? You know how many people would take that opinion as the most outrageous thing. By the way you got into my buisniness by calling the colors on my car tacky, which translates to you calling ME tacky.

i didn't base any of my remarks on facts, they were all opinions as i stated, hence the phrase "to me at least" in my post. as for the blue and green ordeal, just take a poll on this forum and you'll find out what people think of that color combination, and they won't think my opinion is the most "outrageous thing". i called the color combination tacky, and that was my opinion, and i didn't state anywhere in my posts that you or your car was tacky. but anyway, why do you care what people think of your car, if you like the colors, then that's fine with everyone. i made the skittles comment just as a joke, if it offended you, then my bad

Old 02-25-2007, 03:34 PM
HCF Member

lol you talk about me rereading post's.......you didn't state that in your first couple posts. You did that after my responses. I wouldn't have gotten so cross if you specified that. (wish I knew how to post quotes from old post, still new)

Old 02-25-2007, 03:40 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Live_4it

lol you talk about me rereading post's.......you didn't state that in your first couple posts. You did that after my responses. I wouldn't have gotten so cross if you specified that. (wish I knew how to post quotes from old post, still new)
right above your posts, to the right, there are buttons that say, reply, quote, and Fwd

Quick Reply: engine makeover, lol