Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

Paint Protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 09:39 AM
Default Paint Protection

I've just arranged to take delivery of a new black EX coupe. Dealer is selling Auto Butler Paint Protector II. I plan to baby this car, so I don't mind the concept of washing and waxing, polishing, glossing, whatever. My questions are,

is this Paint Protection II a good product?

can I take care of it as well or better on my own?

anyone have personal experience with it?

Old 04-25-2006, 10:52 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Paint Protection

never heard of it..is it just a dealer thing like a wax?, if its free i say go for it..if not i would just by some nice wax and do it yourself

Old 04-25-2006, 02:12 PM
HCF Member

I worked at a place applying Auto Armor....same kind of paint sealent as Auto Butler...did cars for Dealerships all day long. I'd save yourself the money and wax the car yourself...wax is wax. Some last longer...some look better. I'm guessing they were guna charge you like $100 for it? you can pick up a bottle of Royal Blue from Forty and save a ton...plus you have a whole bottle of wax.

Old 04-25-2006, 03:05 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, do it yourself, especially with a black car. Most dealerships will just put swirls and holograms in your paint anyway. Invest in some real good microfiber towels, applicators, a good wax and you'll be straight...

Old 04-25-2006, 03:20 PM

thanks ...

rather spend the money on new rims and wheels

Old 04-25-2006, 09:13 PM

Clear Coat Myths

My dealer told me my clear coat doesn't need to be waxed, is that true?

No, it is absolutely not true. As mentioned above, a clear coat is paint just like any other paint. If left unprotected it will be exposed to the sun’s UV rays, water spots, acid rain, acidic bird droppings, and so on. You do not have to polish any automotive paint, but it’s been illustrated clearly on this site that there are great benefits to doing so. Over time a neglected clear coat will look hazy and dull because it will be covered in fine scratches, water spots, bird drop etchings, acid rain etchings, rail dust, and other environmental fallout.

My dealer is trying to sell me a clear coat, what's up?

It is likely your dealer is either confused, or is trying to make some easy money. Dealerships do not sell “clear coats”, if they did they would be required to literally re-paint your entire car with layers of clear paint and then bake it to cure the paint. What they almost always mean when they sell you a “clear coat” is that they are selling you a paint sealant which will be applied over your clear coat. These are the same products detailers apply when they seal or wax your car; however dealers often charge hundreds of dollars for them. These packages are usually accompanied by warranties, unfortunately most consumers don’t realize that these warranties require you to have the sealant re-applied every 6 months to a year, and prohibit you from polishing or waxing your car. Because consumers rarely, if ever, return to have the sealants re-applied, this is easy money for dealers. People often ask “but I got a dealer clear coat, why is does my paint look so bad?”.

http://gtaindetail.com/clearcoat/

Sorry for the copy and paste, but I think this covers it. Odds are it's a regular OTC sealant applied for many hundreds of $ that you could buy for $14.99 at autozone. Congrats on the purchase, btw!