New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

bought a 99 Civic Si, I need tips on things (Rust removal/protection/ Engine Conditioning)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 07:46 AM
Default bought a 99 Civic Si, I need tips on things (Rust removal/protection/ Engine Conditioning)

Hello,

Im in Brampton Ontario and I just bought a silver 1999 Civic Si with 150,000km's for $9,500 (alright price I suppose).
This is my first car ever and I really dont know much but I'm a "Google junkie"/"Information Junkie" so I learn stuff real quick.

Ok, So I Just got the car and here are some things Im thinking about:

1. The car has a few chips here and there in the paint (penhead size,real small gravel chips) Which have a little rust build up around them. I really want to take care of them before they become a problem so what would be the best way to tackle these buggers?. (Im thinkin a real small fine sand till the rust stains go then briskly apply car touchup paint). Note that I will probably hit up a place like canadian tire to get my supplies
- Any tutorials with pics?

2. The Engine is looking a lil dry, small rust build up here and there but its all manageable. Im thinking about carefully spraying down the whole engine with WD-40, you thoughts?

3. Winter is coming soon And I'm worred about the bottom of the car. I hear bottom coats cause RUST!?!?! whats the point then...
What would be the best idea to get ready for the winter. (and can you recommend any good cheap places around brampton)

This looks like an awsome forum and I look forward to learning alot from it, thanks for any input. Also any additional info On thing I should do right away/consider would be good