Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

removing decals? (scratching ok)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 01:23 PM
HCF Member
Question removing decals? (scratching ok)

I need to remove these ugly splash decals from my sedan, they go from the front fender to the back and they've been on there probably 10 years from the looks of them. I've tried a couple different ways but to no success

anyone know the best way to remove these?

scratching/damaging the paint isn't an issue because its all being primered once the stickers are off

thanks guys

Old 01-24-2011, 01:56 PM
HCF Member

if you dont care about the paint, just use a paint scraper blade. I used a scraper blade and some olive oil as lubrication to remove 3 bumper stickers from my car. Only scraped the paint once and that was because i pressed harder than was necessary.

If they are vinyl die cut decals, you should be able to peel them off in one piece.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:28 PM
HCF Member

i once used some stuff a friend of mine had that was made for removing bumper stickers. you just sprayed it on, let it sit for 30 seconds or so, and the sticker peeled right off. I dont remember what it was called, but give autozone a try and see if they have anything like that.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:33 PM
HCF Member

The easiest way to remove old decals is either with a steamer or a heat gun. You need to heat the adhesive to release it. Once the vinyl is removed, then you will need an adhesive remover. Goof off, goo-gone, 3m adhesive remover, etc. Let soak then rub off. It will take some time.
There is also a decal eraser that you use with a drill. Have never tired one but heard they do work. Expensive though.

The other option with with a lot of sand paper and an electric sander (finishing, not belt) since you are repainting.
There are also aircraft paint strippers that "may" remove adhesive to.

I worked at graphics shop and had to remove a lot of old decals without damaging the paint. A lot of hard and painful work.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:25 AM
July 2010 ROTM

aircraft remover. dont get it on anything but the car, its volatile. aircraft remover is tha' bidness!

Old 01-25-2011, 11:06 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by MBrent
aircraft remover. dont get it on anything but the car, its volatile. aircraft remover is tha' bidness!
where the heck do you get that? lol

Old 01-25-2011, 02:08 PM
July 2010 ROTM

oreillys. prob any auto parts store. come in a quart can or an aerosol can. dude, srsly, dont take the aircraft remover lightly. wear eye protection and do NOT inhale it. its like the nano machines from the GI JOE movie. well, on paint and stuff anyways...

Old 01-25-2011, 04:42 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by MBrent
oreillys. prob any auto parts store. come in a quart can or an aerosol can. dude, srsly, dont take the aircraft remover lightly. wear eye protection and do NOT inhale it. its like the nano machines from the GI JOE movie. well, on paint and stuff anyways...
okay I'll have to look tomorrow, I plan to start primering this weekend so I need these ugly things off by then. thanks for everyones input

Old 03-15-2011, 10:03 AM

Aircraft remover will remove anything you put it on. I've used WD-40 to remove the moulding adhesive on my cavalier. Heat gun might work too.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:48 AM
HCF Member

I used rubbing alcohol and a blow dryer to get double sided tape off my car. Left no residue and no damage. I tried all the "goo removers" and had no success.

Quick Reply: removing decals? (scratching ok)