Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

What's the best way to clean your engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 04:35 AM
HCF Member
Default What's the best way to clean your engine bay?

What's the best way to clean your engine bay I've heard of powerwashing it but I'm affraid I'll ruin the engine and get stuff wet thats not suppose to. So if anyone out there knows a better way to clean it or stuff that I should cover up if I do powerwash it please let me know.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:33 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: What's the best way to clean your engine bay?

Cover your air intake system, sparkplugs and all electrical components. I just use a can of EngineBrite (which can be found at any auto store) and low pressure water to rinse it off. I then finish off w/ soapy water and a rag to get at the places which are hard to reach. Takes alot of time, but it's worth it and alot safer then high pressure water.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:47 AM
HCF Member

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_94879/tm.htm try searching around first

Old 06-25-2007, 07:05 AM

yeah, pressure washing will yield better results, but if you're the least bit nervous about it don't do it. you can screw up pretty easily.

use some aluminum foil around the electrical connections, air intake,or any place you think doesn't need to get wet. seran wrap will probably do the trick too

you canuse a engine cleaner that's designed for the joband follow the directions, but any mild degreaser will do the job. don't be afraid to get a stiff bristle brush(not awire brush,just a firm soft bristle)after the non-painted areas, on the painted areas use a rag.

after you're done washing it off start the motor and let it run for a few minutes, that will help with drying. or if you have a leaf blower or a shopvac that will blow air too those work just as well if not better. when it's dry spray it down with a protectant of some type (i.e. armor all). and when the protectant has soaked in wipe up all the puddles and spots left behind.

they actually make an engine protectant that you spray on and leave on. it's a long term wax (or long term till you wash it with degreaser again, or eventually wears off).

if you have one of those portable fabric steamers they work wonders too. you can buy them at bed, bath, and beyond for like $50 (i think)