HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Drivetrain DIYs (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/drivetrain-diys-56/)
-   -   Automatic to Manual Transmission Conversion (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/drivetrain-diys-56/automatic-manual-transmission-conversion-31774/)

Pete 11-01-2006 11:13 AM

Automatic to Manual Transmission Conversion

4 Attachment(s)
Special thanks to 93delsolsi from www.hondaswap.com for this one.

Auto to Manual Conversion for Civics 92-95
These FAQ should be identical for 96-98 Honda Civic EX. Obtain the following parts: Manual Transmission Clutch Pressure Plate Flywheel Clutch Hydraulic System Composed of these parts: Slave Cylinder Hydraulic Lines Clutch Master Cylinder Hydraulic Reservoir Clutch Pedal Clutch Pedal Sensors AND plugs Brake and Gas Pedal Manual Transmission ECU Shift Linkage Shift Boot Shift Knob Upper Transmission Mount Front Transmission Stabilizer.
Attachment 38983

Exterior:

Remove and replace automatic transmission with manual unit. Interior: You must remove the armrest/center console and shift boot trim panels to gain access to the shifter and related parts. You will see that the shifter cable runs through the floorboard to the transmission. Remove the cable. Take an air-chisel and remove the welds that hold cable guide bracket that you just removed. You need to remove this to allow access for the manual transmission shifter linkage to work properly. To fill in this huge hole, use a piece of sheet metal, and trim it to fit. Attach it with self-tapping sheet metal screws.
Attachment 38984 Attachment 38984

On the shifter for the auto transmission, you will see a 14-wire plug. Cut the plug from the auto shifter assembly, and leave about 5 inches of wire. Looking at the plug, the positions are (left to right) (top row) 14,13,12,11,10,9,8 and (bottom row) 7,6,5,4,3,2,1.
Attachment 38986

Starter (top) Sensor:

There are two heavy gauge wires (position #11 and position #12). Connect these two wires to the top sensor (clutch interlock switch) on the clutch pedal assembly. This will only allow the car to start when the clutch pedal is engaged. In other words, every time you press the clutch you will close the circuit.

Cruise Control (bottom) Sensor:

The bottom switch is your cruise control disable switch. Run two wires from the switch: connect one to the position #7 (black) and the other to #13 (pink). Every time you press the clutch pedal, the cruise control will disable. Removing the Key: On the 14-wire plug, there is a black wire you will need to connect to a green wire with a white stripe. This puts the car in "park" so you can take the key out at any time. Reverse Lights: Look at the plug you used on the engine wiring harness to hook up to your reverse sensor on the manual transmission. Run two wires from this switch to the yellow wire and a green wire with black stripe (positions 4 and 5) at the big plug that you cut off from the auto shifter. Now your reverse lights should work. I have heard that if you replace your automatic ECU with a manual one, your reverse lights will work without extra wiring. This has yet to be proven or not (I am still using the auto ECU until next week).

Price: around $1500

AGAIN, thanks for delsolsi from hondaswap for the borrowed writeup.

For those of you with OBD-I PCM's, you can convert your automatic PCM to a manual unit; OBD-0 and OBD-II will have to swap out for the actual manual unit.
For the people with an OBD-I PCM, this is all you need to do:
https://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i...totomanual.gif

If you don't have good soldering skills, I'd recommend buying the manual PCM since poor soldering can potentially ruin the PCM.

Thanks to trustdestruction for information about converting the PCM

Imari007 11-04-2006 07:20 PM

RE: Auto to Manual Conversion

i have a 98 honda civic LX, and i doing the same conversion, and im wondering if i get a manual ECU, is all this wiring still necessary, such as the start sensor and cruise control.

b3nSoNx 01-28-2007 06:48 PM

how much does a conversion like this cost?

Imari007 01-28-2007 11:55 PM

well it only cost me $800 for parts and labor!!!!

b3nSoNx 01-29-2007 12:04 AM

nice

Misha 01-29-2007 12:09 AM

Actually, if you have some soldering skills you can save on ECU and convert whatever you have. Worked for me when my ECU got fried and the only p28 around was auto. Ieven drove it with auto ECU for several months until I got tired of CEL and then I found the solution.

EDIT: forgot the link LOL

b3nSoNx 01-29-2007 01:01 AM

o, too much work
i rather just buy another car that's stick

halfnoise 01-29-2007 11:53 AM

ORIGINAL: b3nSoNx

o, too much work
i rather just buy another car that's stick

[/align][/align]But.....but.... I ruv my civic! [/align]seriously though... the day is coming when I'm gonna swap my A/T, maybe when my car isn't a daily driver... (when I'm 50)[/align]

Eun 02-02-2007 05:28 PM

[:'(]I'm going to do this.

b3nSoNx 02-06-2007 07:23 PM

how does the manual tranny run?
as good as a stock manual?
or a little weird?
i might convert my accord's when my tranny goes out cause 800 is way cheaper than rebuilding the automatic
and how reliable is it?

thesk8nmidget 02-13-2007 06:56 PM

a good question would be wha trannys work for the 92-95 hondas???

i have a d16z6 to be specific

ebaben3 09-13-2007 08:36 AM

sticky? this seems to come up alot.

WipLash 10-10-2007 07:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Misha

Actually, if you have some soldering skills you can save on ECU and convert whatever you have. Worked for me when my ECU got fried and the only p28 around was auto. Ieven drove it with auto ECU for several months until I got tired of CEL and then I found the solution.

EDIT: forgot the link LOL
when i did my swap i didnt change the ecu and it runs fine, should i consider putting the manual ecu in?i have it so ill probly check if there is any difference. also my reverse light dont work, i no its probly something with the 14 wire plug but dont no what to do

dragerracer 11-06-2007 10:31 AM

i have a 97 civic with a d16y8 engine and its an automatic i have a 5 speed tranny for a y8 engine on the way wat all would i have to do to get it installed on my car or wat all would i have to get

Civic Dx 349 11-06-2007 07:16 PM

Obtain the following parts: Manual Transmission Clutch Pressure Plate Flywheel Clutch Hydraulic System Composed of these parts: Slave Cylinder Hydraulic Lines Clutch Master Cylinder Hydraulic Reservoir Clutch Pedal Clutch Pedal Sensors AND plugs Brake and Gas Pedal Manual Transmission ECU Shift Linkage Shift Boot Shift Knob Upper Transmission Mount Front Transmission Stabilizer.

Im in the process of doing this and hopefully have my new motor and manual conversion dropped in by the end of this weekend if we don't get to much snow. It seems pretty simple with hooking it all up and wiring the plug seems pretty straight forward.

I do have a quick question for you tranny guys, do you still have to wire the plug up if you swap out your auto ECU to a manual ECU?

Justice. 01-09-2008 08:44 AM

does this only apply for 92-95 ? i need some converstion help for 2000 ex

BillyB98 01-09-2008 12:55 PM

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1316692
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1337459
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_52.../tm.htm#533663
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2189516

^all good links i have found for my 1998 auto-maual

donnie2483 02-13-2008 08:13 PM

hey all i just got done with this swap i bought a whole 92 civic lx with a manual in it for $400and it ran really good but it was just so nasty and had alot of body damage so i stripped it down and put a new clutch ki and new seals. can someone please tell me why the seals (output) would keep leaking oil? and is it true these transmissions use motor oil 10-30 or 10-40 to be exact? and for the record i have a 1994 civic lx. and for the automatic selector i just put it in park and left it there,haha. if someone has any ideas for me to try feel free to email me at lildj2483@aim.com im tired of taking the suspension apart on it.

mr honda 03-02-2008 11:46 AM

I have a question as Im attempting the swap of a 95 lx to a manual...........DO We need a starter for this swap also?

Fiirkan 03-02-2008 12:28 PM

ORIGINAL: mr honda

I have a question as Im attempting the swap of a 95 lx to a manual...........DO We need a starter for this swap also?
yes.

mr honda 03-02-2008 01:16 PM

as for the seals leaking, are the shaft sealing surfaces messed up?, did you pound in the seal and warp it or pound it in too far? Too much slop in the shafts (wiggle them up and down

donnie2483 03-07-2008 10:09 PM

well i fixed the problem i guess my inside nuckle cups were different from the ones off the civic i got the 5speed out of. driving back to houston,tx my civic blew the motor it completely crushed the #4 connecting rod. but i have another question. how do i get the cruise control to work again? i read about it in this forum but i cant get it to come on and it worked fine before the swap and i followed the directions on the wiring.

cohen_fetters 03-30-2008 11:25 AM

i am doing the swap this weekend and i need to know what mount or brackets i need. i already have the front/lower one.

RiseAgain97 06-01-2008 11:39 PM

hmm interesting i think i have most of my parts from my d16 left over, theres a guy that was selling a 96 auto for 1500 that the trans is about to go out i was thinking about picking up.. i have a manual trans from my old engine and my linkage and shifter id just have to get some petals but it looks pretty easy!!! i hope he still has the car lol

rocksbite 07-08-2008 04:50 AM

do the pedals just bolt in?

addiction2bass 07-18-2008 12:17 PM

anyone know if a canadian civic that is in Kilometers.... is still fine for the full swap? im looking at buying a wrecked 96civic if i can get it around 800bucks that is... im curious if the computer is still the same and just different speedometers and thats it?

the car looks repairable BUT im hoping it goes cheap so i can get the manual parts and everything to do a perfect manual swap. I HOPE i can get the car!!!!!!!

trying not to get my hopes up to much but if its all good then id love to have it to do the manual swap!

trustdestruction 07-18-2008 10:42 PM

i would think so, since you can put a canadian cluster in an american civic and have it still read correctly, i would assume it would be the same way for the transmissions.

SilenceBoy 07-22-2008 10:44 PM

Would swapping the transmission be harder or easier if I swapped the engine to a B18 on my stock 95' Civic?

trustdestruction 07-22-2008 10:52 PM

pretty much the same but idk what shift linkage youre suppose to use.

addiction2bass 07-23-2008 10:53 AM

how about a automatic into a manual civic ;) is the automatic harness totaly different on the car? or what? i hope i can repair this 96civic and simply swap all the parts i need and then have 2 good civics ;)

why waste the potential for the manual i want so bad.... and the stock automatic low profile cruiser. [8D]

silver04cb 10-12-2008 08:10 AM

I have an 04 ex and am considering doing a auto/manual conversion and was wondering if anyone had tried it and what complications might go along with it.

DEVO1 10-15-2008 05:36 PM

hello,

im was going to do the Auto to Manual Conversion, but i keep going different websites with different descriptions and how to do that way. Im getting confused.. Do i have to weld and cut and drill to able do converisons? i has 1995 honda civic ex 2dr..

So want able clear couple things up.. cause i saw other links as http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread...459&page=1 but its for newer year of honda it reqiures weld and cut. etc but i wasnt sure about 92-95

but tutorials is great i have no issues with it.. just want able clear things up..

do i have to pull engine up to remove the tranny and putting a manual tranny in cause my tranny is messed up anyway. or are way i can leave engine mount and pull tranny out? just out of questions.. forgive me im noob about conversion

this post is great but picture made it look so easy to conversation compare with the link i just posted it..

so hope hear from you people.

DEVO1

WaterCake 10-24-2008 05:36 PM

hey guys. ive been looking into this conversion. i have a 97 dx 2dr. iv'e done a limited search, but havent been able to find any info on how to convert a dx. nearly all of them are ex and lx conversions. is there any difference between the ex and my dx?

any help would be greatly appreciated. =]

Raybanman 10-26-2008 12:31 PM

I'm looking at converting my 04 DX. I'm brand new to the civic mod thing, so I'd appreciate any help. Secifically is it viable to convert the 04? I see that this is mainly for models up to 00. Which engine/tranny combo would my civic have? its the 1.7 L obviously, but how do I tell which specific model of engine and tranny it has?

Thanks!
Pat

Truteno 12-05-2008 09:46 AM

im lookin to get a 97 honda civic ex(auto) and wondering if i could use the parts from my 93 civic Dx(manual) in order to do this conversion

oldwhiteprelude 02-23-2009 02:57 PM

1500? 800? I did this entire swap for around 300.

oldwhiteprelude 02-23-2009 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by DEVO1 (Post 596588)
hello,

im was going to do the Auto to Manual Conversion, but i keep going different websites with different descriptions and how to do that way. Im getting confused.. Do i have to weld and cut and drill to able do converisons? i has 1995 honda civic ex 2dr..

So want able clear couple things up.. cause i saw other links as http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread...459&page=1 but its for newer year of honda it reqiures weld and cut. etc but i wasnt sure about 92-95

but tutorials is great i have no issues with it.. just want able clear things up..

do i have to pull engine up to remove the tranny and putting a manual tranny in cause my tranny is messed up anyway. or are way i can leave engine mount and pull tranny out? just out of questions.. forgive me im noob about conversion

this post is great but picture made it look so easy to conversation compare with the link i just posted it..

so hope hear from you people.

DEVO1

you can leave the engine in.....IMO its easier that way

sorry for double post..

cyclonecal 05-26-2009 07:04 AM

1995 CX Manual Swap to my new 1996 CX Auto

So I had a project car (the 95 body) that needed way too much work... so I decided to make it the donor car.

I bought a 1996 CX automatic for cheap - body is in great shape, but the automatic transmission is going soon - hence the good price.

Question is simply...

Can I swap the 95 Manual tranny into the auto 96 (newer body)?

A buddy and I will be doing this on my driveway... we got the tools and jacks...

Obviously I'd have to go through the parts list on this thread and pull everything from the 95... but are the mount points the same between the two cars?

I'm handy with a welder (sort of) so if it's nominal cut / weld then I am comfortable with that.

Thanks for the advice!

4crewy 05-26-2009 11:18 AM

tranny swap

was wondering how much wiring do i have to do if i have 2 civics one with auto and other with stick. I have all of the hardeware and the ecu. I mean i have both complete cars. But the stick has been wrecked in front. So is there alot to do with the wiring looking 4 a lil help

rocksbite 05-30-2009 10:56 AM

i just did this swap. the upper transmission mount is incorrect in the car. the atx mount on the car is higher then the mtx. meaning if you use the stock mtx mount the trans will sit higher on that side and wear out your passenger side axle rather fast.

there are a few after market companys that make the mount but i saw they run about $100