Drivetrain DIYs Anything that involves the performance of the vehicle.

Automatic to Manual Transmission Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 11:13 AM
HCF Member
Default Automatic to Manual Transmission Conversion

Special thanks to 93delsolsi from www.hondaswap.com for this one.

Auto to Manual Conversion for Civics 92-95
These FAQ should be identical for 96-98 Honda Civic EX. Obtain the following parts: Manual Transmission Clutch Pressure Plate Flywheel Clutch Hydraulic System Composed of these parts: Slave Cylinder Hydraulic Lines Clutch Master Cylinder Hydraulic Reservoir Clutch Pedal Clutch Pedal Sensors AND plugs Brake and Gas Pedal Manual Transmission ECU Shift Linkage Shift Boot Shift **** Upper Transmission Mount Front Transmission Stabilizer.
Name:  Conversion1.jpg
Views: 13775
Size:  41.9 KB

Exterior:

Remove and replace automatic transmission with manual unit. Interior: You must remove the armrest/center console and shift boot trim panels to gain access to the shifter and related parts. You will see that the shifter cable runs through the floorboard to the transmission. Remove the cable. Take an air-chisel and remove the welds that hold cable guide bracket that you just removed. You need to remove this to allow access for the manual transmission shifter linkage to work properly. To fill in this huge hole, use a piece of sheet metal, and trim it to fit. Attach it with self-tapping sheet metal screws.
Name:  Conversion3.jpg
Views: 16405
Size:  33.5 KB Name:  Conversion3.jpg
Views: 16405
Size:  33.5 KB

On the shifter for the auto transmission, you will see a 14-wire plug. Cut the plug from the auto shifter assembly, and leave about 5 inches of wire. Looking at the plug, the positions are (left to right) (top row) 14,13,12,11,10,9,8 and (bottom row) 7,6,5,4,3,2,1.
Name:  Conversion4.jpg
Views: 14165
Size:  21.9 KB

Starter (top) Sensor:

There are two heavy gauge wires (position #11 and position #12). Connect these two wires to the top sensor (clutch interlock switch) on the clutch pedal assembly. This will only allow the car to start when the clutch pedal is engaged. In other words, every time you press the clutch you will close the circuit.

Cruise Control (bottom) Sensor:

The bottom switch is your cruise control disable switch. Run two wires from the switch: connect one to the position #7 (black) and the other to #13 (pink). Every time you press the clutch pedal, the cruise control will disable. Removing the Key: On the 14-wire plug, there is a black wire you will need to connect to a green wire with a white stripe. This puts the car in "park" so you can take the key out at any time. Reverse Lights: Look at the plug you used on the engine wiring harness to hook up to your reverse sensor on the manual transmission. Run two wires from this switch to the yellow wire and a green wire with black stripe (positions 4 and 5) at the big plug that you cut off from the auto shifter. Now your reverse lights should work. I have heard that if you replace your automatic ECU with a manual one, your reverse lights will work without extra wiring. This has yet to be proven or not (I am still using the auto ECU until next week).

Price: around $1500

AGAIN, thanks for delsolsi from hondaswap for the borrowed writeup.

For those of you with OBD-I PCM's, you can convert your automatic PCM to a manual unit; OBD-0 and OBD-II will have to swap out for the actual manual unit.
For the people with an OBD-I PCM, this is all you need to do:

If you don't have good soldering skills, I'd recommend buying the manual PCM since poor soldering can potentially ruin the PCM.

Thanks to trustdestruction for information about converting the PCM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Conversion3.jpg (33.5 KB, 1232 views)

Last edited by trustdestruction; 02-24-2010 at 09:04 PM. Reason: added information about converting PCM's
Old 11-04-2006, 07:20 PM
Default RE: Auto to Manual Conversion

i have a 98 honda civic LX, and i doing the same conversion, and im wondering if i get a manual ECU, is all this wiring still necessary, such as the start sensor and cruise control.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:48 PM

how much does a conversion like this cost?

Old 01-28-2007, 11:55 PM

well it only cost me $800 for parts and labor!!!!

Old 01-29-2007, 12:04 AM

nice

Old 01-29-2007, 12:09 AM
HCF Member

Actually, if you have some soldering skills you can save on ECU and convert whatever you have. Worked for me when my ECU got fried and the only p28 around was auto. Ieven drove it with auto ECU for several months until I got tired of CEL and then I found the solution.

EDIT: forgot the link LOL

Old 01-29-2007, 01:01 AM

o, too much work
i rather just buy another car that's stick

Old 01-29-2007, 11:53 AM

ORIGINAL: b3nSoNx

o, too much work
i rather just buy another car that's stick
[/align][/align]But.....but.... I ruv my civic! [/align]seriously though... the day is coming when I'm gonna swap my A/T, maybe when my car isn't a daily driver... (when I'm 50)[/align]

Old 02-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Eun

[:'(]I'm going to do this.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:23 PM

how does the manual tranny run?
as good as a stock manual?
or a little weird?
i might convert my accord's when my tranny goes out cause 800 is way cheaper than rebuilding the automatic
and how reliable is it?

Quick Reply: Automatic to Manual Transmission Conversion