Drivetrain DIYs Anything that involves the performance of the vehicle.

Exhaust Conversion (LX/DX/CX/HX to EX) (96-00 Civic)

Old 02-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

um... not sure on the side of the nuts... i just took one of the header bolts with me since one of them came out anyways... but if you simply pull one nut and take it to your hardware store and match em up

its not to difficult. took me awhile to find the right thread pitch but i found it finally and they actually had enough.... tho i bought to many. but i figured it keep em all since its not that much money.... but they were like 50cents each. but well worth not using the old rusty ugly nuts!!!!!!!

and the wire extenders are not hard to route at all... simply route the wires away from any moving parts or hot parts. i can mine up and over the motor and right under the distributor... and the wires where just long enough to reach the stock wire mounting points on the front of the block.

id take a picture of them BUT with the black wire loom it blends in to well and you cannt really see them
ill get some larger pictures uploaded and post links up for ya...
just give me another min to upload them larger.

Last edited by addiction2bass; 02-13-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Recognized HCF Member

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...exhaust057.jpg

just look for the 2 shiny black wire looms right under the distributor... give them a bit to get dirty and match every other wire loom under the dash.LOL of course i also used some black electrical tape around both ends of the wire extenders just so it looks alot better and blends in like its really suposed to be there!

Last edited by addiction2bass; 02-13-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:03 AM
HCF Member

Cool thanks for the pic. I just wanted to see if you ran the wires under engine or over it. I did want to run then under due to the chances of damage. Oh yeah and I found a three bolt flange on ebay so the exhaust shop can make my cat back removable. I just did a search for a 3 bolt flange. Here is the link if anyone wants it http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3A11&viewitem=

Old 02-26-2009, 03:45 PM

jw if you can use the flange from the upper header to the lower header turn pipe from the stock y7 one or if that flang would fit onto an EX stock cat converter? ..

cuz im doing the same setup with an EX header to cat. converter but i got a ctr mid pipe .. the flange on the ctr pip is too big for the stock EX cat converter .. so im jw if i can reuse that flange on the y7 on to the ctr midpipe since flange are hard to come by ..

Last edited by runwitme; 02-26-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:38 PM
Recognized HCF Member

hum. you know i never checked the flange on the dx turn header pipe. i never even thought about it. im not positive if its the same size or not but it looks like it might work.

ill have to try that when i remove my midpipe to weld it solid. but it looks like it should work.
i just havent had the desire to work on the civic lately.... my trucks taken priority with my moding funds lately.... i just bought some bullet mufflers for it today. gotta make this truck rumble.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:53 PM

lol .. well let us know how it goes when you DO do it .. cuz if it does fit .. i jus might weld that flange onto the ctr mid pipe save me trouble of chopping up that ctr mid pipe

or better yet ill jus try it myself when i do take off that y7 exhaust header/cat .. and ill let yall know

Old 02-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Recognized HCF Member

you got a picture of this CTR mid pipe? im curious to know what ya mean...

Old 02-26-2009, 06:06 PM

well i say it just looks like any regular mid pipe .. the piping is a little larger/bigger .. so the flange on it is bigger than the stock ones on the y7/y8 so it wouldnt just bolt onto the ex cat. converter .. thats why i was wondering if the flange on that y7 would fit the ex cat. converter .. 3 bolt flanges and all .. cuz if it does then i can jus weld that flange onto the pipe i have ... but ill take pix of it tomomrrow or so .. its dark here already ..

Old 02-27-2009, 01:22 PM

Name:  IMG_0327.jpg
Views: 5917
Size:  17.8 KB Name:  IMG_0324.jpg
Views: 6033
Size:  16.5 KB

here's a pic of the mid pipe next to the ex cat. converter .. it looks like it would fit but the flange is a little wider on the pipe so it wouldnt fit ..

Last edited by runwitme; 02-27-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:46 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well hard to tell exactly how much its off BUT if the bolt holes are just slightly wider simply drill/grind the holes a bit larger. doesnt look like its off to much.... if in doubt of sealing use a high temp flat gasket also between the 2 flanges.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust Conversion (LX/DX/CX/HX to EX) (96-00 Civic)