Drivetrain DIYs Anything that involves the performance of the vehicle.

Exhaust Conversion (LX/DX/CX/HX to EX) (96-00 Civic)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 02:55 PM

yea its not that off but yea i could try that .. i just picked up an after market header and bolt it onto my DX piping w/out the cat .. ran fine and all wit the CEL ofcourse .. jus wanted to do some test runs .. but ill be puttin the cat. converter on soon .. but ty for your inputs

Old 03-04-2009, 07:23 PM

well got mostly everything in . turns out the mid pipe is a little longer so ill be taking it to the muffler shop to have it shorten by a little and i picked up an gsr muffler too but gonna have to cut and weld that too so we'll see how it goes ..

but then i see what you mean bout them spring bolts .. kinda annoying as it doesnt completely seal my cat to the piping .. ill have to go find some nuts and bolts too ..

Old 03-05-2009, 01:32 PM

btw what shift linkage are you running? .. im using stock DX but then it keeps hittin the cat. converter .. i cant really go into 5th or reverse .. only by forcing a little can i get into those gears .. jw if your having that problem too

Old 03-05-2009, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by runwitme
im using stock DX but then it keeps hittin the cat. converter .. i cant really go into 5th or reverse .. only by forcing a little can i get into those gears .. jw if your having that problem too
what kind of shifter do you have?

Old 03-06-2009, 02:47 AM
Recognized HCF Member

im using the stock dx linkage... i do have a ebay short shifter and it does feel like it hits something when its in gear but it only feels like it knocks it at certain rpms.

its nothing hard tho just a soft knock..... and it doesn't hit anything when i shift gears at all so its not that big of a deal for me. i was going to jack the car up and see whats actually hitting. but im waiting for a warmer temp outside.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:42 PM
HCF Member

My ebay shifter hits my stock HX piping a little. I can hear it rattling when in reverse. I would try removing the heat sheild or denting it to make some clearance. The EX LX HX and DX all use the same shifter linkage. How is your civic running with the headers and cat??

Old 03-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well so far running completely normal. exactly as planned
but i havent driven it much lately.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:32 PM

i have a short shifter also .. and i checked it and its actually hittin the o2 sensor on the cat .. its just harder to get into 5th and reverse .. heat shield already taken off

ill try to get a pic of it later

Old 03-08-2009, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by runwitme
i have a short shifter also .. and i checked it and its actually hittin the o2 sensor on the cat .. its just harder to get into 5th and reverse .. heat shield already taken off

ill try to get a pic of it later
what kind of short shifter?
you're either gonna have to get an exhaust shop to rotate the cat, or you're gonna need a better shifter.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Recognized HCF Member

you could always try to bend the exhaust alittle to..

all depends how the linkage is hitting. you cannt bend it very much so all depends how much its hitting...

or another thing to try is if its just hitting the sensor..... simply either get some smaller HARDENED bolts and washers to replace the header to cat flange.... and on the cat to midpipe use a drill or small ball grinder to open up the bolt holes in the midpipe.... then you can simply turn the cat alittle and hopefully the sensor will clear the linkages...

well actualy ya know what..... i just got thinking... i wonder if maybe i put my cat on upside down.... im not sure... if the cat was simply upside down.... maybe i screwed up. NEED TO FIND SOMEONE WITH A EX 5SPEED to look at there stock cat on the car.... i just thought the sensor would be on the top to keep it from posibly hiting road debri..

Quick Reply: Exhaust Conversion (LX/DX/CX/HX to EX) (96-00 Civic)