ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

any advantage for fuel rail on N/A engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 04:54 AM
Default any advantage for fuel rail on N/A engine?

I had a quick question for the Civic guru's out there, i am a full time mechanic and i know how to do all the bolt on mods and low horsepower upgrades like cold air and exhaust, ignition etc. but when it comes to the ECU and fuel management, i suck :-(. What i want to know is if i would get any increase in power/torque if i upgraded the fuel rail and added a pressure regulator to my 98 HX. (D16Y5 manual.) All the parts would be either Skunk2 or AEM by the way. any info would be helpful.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:58 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: any advantage for fuel rail on N/A engine?

No, unless you have a need to move more fuel faster (ie: forced induction) there is no benefit at all.

Also, I wouldnt trust the aftermarket FPR's, even from AEM. I've heard more bad news about them than good.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:50 PM

hey man thanks alot, i didnt think there would be a benefit, i was just curious. so basically bigger injectors/ fuel rails/ high psi pumps and regulators are only needed for the addition of forced induction, sounds good to me, guess im gonna have to swap out the D16Y5 and throw in a Z6 or a B18C and turbo the bitch haha, depending on the ol' check book that is... NASTY STI by the way

Old 01-23-2008, 05:40 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: civicrippa98

hey man thanks alot, i didnt think there would be a benefit, i was just curious. so basically bigger injectors/ fuel rails/ high psi pumps and regulators are only needed for the addition of forced induction, sounds good to me, guess im gonna have to swap out the D16Y5 and throw in a Z6 or a B18C and turbo the bitch haha, depending on the ol' check book that is... NASTY STI by the way
Thanks, but I wish! Its just a WRX, but still an absolute blast to drive.

The reason the upgraded fuel stuff won't matter, is that even with all that big stuff on the car, the ecu is still going to regulate fuel flow to stock spec. When you start digging into tuning for F/I or higher compression, and need to compensate with more fuel, then you can start adding that stuff. Even then, I would keep the stock FPR, but upgrade injectors and possibly rail.

If you're looking ot clear up the fuel flow a bit, you can always change the filter, they have a tendency to get gunky after a while.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:43 AM

ya i just put a new filter, it help a bit, i blew into the other one and it was a little brown/black/****ty haha. There is so much i want to do to the car but i gotta get the time via a 2nd car, and money...there are only so many hours in a day. Im searching for D16Z6 or D16Y8 parts right now since i cant afford a whole swap, keep me posted if you find anything.