ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

Car will turn over but won't start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 04:44 PM
HCF Member
Question Car will turn over but won't start?

94 Honda civic mini swap hondata tuned. I put a new walbro fuel pump in my civic ran good for a few days. I went out to leave from work and all the mess started. I check my plugs and they were black and had a fuel smell to them. I check my dizzy and plug but all were good. I also put new oem injectors in it the same day. Now since I pit a better and more high flow fuel pump in should I have pit bigger injectors as well? And is that my problem or is it sumthing else causeing this??

Old 02-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Cat Fuсker

You're probably running VERY rich, flooding the engine and need a retune. Either that or something broke. Do you actually have spark?

Old 02-26-2010, 04:55 PM
HCF Member

I pull the dizzy cap off and it had sum oxidization on it and I cleaned it up but still wouldn't start. So my. Next thing I will do is just out the oem pump back in and see if it will start.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Cat Fuсker

That isn't how you check for spark, my friend. Get a spare spark plug, pull each of the spark plug wires off at a time and connect it to said spare plug. Pug plug on metal part like the valve cover and have someone crank the car and see if it sparks. Don't touch the plug wire or plug with your hands while car cranks. Repeat for all 4 wires.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Definitely check for spark. Any CEL codes? Also listen for whether the fuel pump primes for 2 seconds when you turn the key to ON(II). If all of the latter are fine, check the mechanical timing and then compression test the cylinders.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Cat Fuсker

Black plugs lead me to believe that he has fuel.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by StifflersMom
Black plugs lead me to believe that he has fuel.
That could be old carbon build up from a history of running rich. It's important to know whether fuel pump primes now and whether, as you said, there's spark at the plugs.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Cat Fuсker

Good point.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:15 PM
HCF Member

It's a brand new pump and plugs as well! I think I need to get it retuned I'm waiting till tomarrow to finish working on it. I'll let yall know what I come up with.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You can have a new fuel pump and new spark plugs but still lack fuel and spark. If you want help with your problem, you need to start by doing the suggested troubleshooting. Start by listening for whether the fuel pump primes and check for spark at all four plugs.

Quick Reply: Car will turn over but won't start?