ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

Civic won't start after maintenance work

Old 04-25-2013, 06:14 AM
Default Civic won't start after maintenance work

We bought a 1998 high mileage civic about a month ago. The car is in great shape, no issues at all. We took it to our trusted mechanic to perform regular maintenance for us. Yesterday, the following was done - Labor: Timing Belt - Remove and Replace (with A/C); Crankshaft oil seal - remove and replace (front); Timing Belt tensioner - remove and replace; valve adjustment. Parts: NBH Timing Component Kit; Universal Coolant; Camshaft Seal; Crankshaft seal (front) AC Belt; Alternator Belt; Power Steering Belt; Motor Mount Front; Valve Cover Gasket Set - Sorry for the list - but I don't know exactly what any of this is Anyway, 700.00 later, I picked up the car and went to get my husband from work. About 20 miles into the drive, I lost acceleration - pulled off the road and now the car will not start - it tries - but start completely. No battery issues, etc. We had the car towed back to the shop and suggested perhaps the timing was off. The mechanic was offended and said no way - they are still looking at it now, but state that the car is flooded because the injectors are wide open. Is this something that could have happened as a result of what we had done yesterday? I just want to make sure if that is the case that the shop is willing to accept responsibility. I've been at my job for 10 years and still make mistakes - and certainly wouldn't be offended is someone suggested that. Thanks for any input.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:16 AM

Also - we had the car in last week for oil/transmission fluid change - brake cleaning, general checkup, etc. And were told that the car seemed fine but that due to the mileage a timing belt would be a good idea - which is why we did the above work. If there was an issue with the fuel system, shouldn't they have seen it one of the two times they had the car all day?

Old 04-25-2013, 07:39 AM

Well, if the car was fine before, had work done, and then died on the way home, it is safe to say that the mechanic did something wrong... or something he replaced (since he replaced ALOT of stuff) failed.

My first thought would be to check if the timing belt is still there... it may have snapped off. New belts do not snap like that usually. Any check engine lights being thrown?

Old 04-25-2013, 08:16 AM

Definitely something either failed or the mechanic screwed up.

Sounds like an ignition problem, related to the installation of the timing kit.