ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

Distrobution

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 12:59 PM
Default Distrobution

I have been doing some research on ignition coils, MSD style. I was wondering... if one of these units is installed, what happens to the distributor cap and rotor? Are they removed, or left in place and no longer used? Also, do I have to get a EMS for this setup or how does it figure out the fire timing? Any help is appreciated.

Old 05-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Default RE: Distrobution

you can use your factory cap & rotor, I would suggest if you are going to switch to a digital ignition system & coil, get the cap & rotor aswell. MSD system wire into your wiring harness and does require a ecu upgrade. I have a Digital Six and its my understanding that it converts your stock signal from the ECU to what the new signals are to be.

Old 05-19-2006, 01:10 PM

the cap and rotor satys where its at. the internal coil is removed and the wires are extended to go to the msd coil. you can convert your stock cap to external with an msd power tower, or buy one of there caps. everything works like stock just the coil is on the outside of the dizzy.

this is only for the coil, not the ignition box. you don't need to make any changes to your computer for just the coil

Old 06-20-2006, 02:15 AM

I was thinking of installing MSD ignition, either MSD 6AL or Digital 6 Plus.

I have a question about that;

I have a d15b7 motor, with an internal coil. I was told I could keep my stock coil, but how much of an improvement is there from the stock-coil to the external Blaster Coil 2??

What would you suggest as far as coils? anyone?