ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

E-manage

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 04:40 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: E-manage

I have tuned with EMS andDSM Link and a wide band with no problems. Wide band helped monitor my A/F and the DSM Link did the rest. I would think you would be able to do that on a Honda the same. As long as you can monitor Knock and A/F(wide band only, thatstupid little A/F gauge thatyou can get only looks pretty bouncing back and forth)you should be able to keep a good tune. We tuned my DSM, and my buddies TT Supra with no problems with just a wide band and EMS/DSM Link. You really need to know how to use your program though, and you will want to do extensive research on the maps you are going to use. We had to change the maps for low grade gas, premium, race gas and nitrous. I also used GM Maf setup with a SAFC but it wasn't near as effective btw.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:48 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Mr Mobsta Man

If you want a cheap way to tune it then run a p28 ecu with crome, if you can tune e-manage you can tune with crome... Piggybacks just suck, they just alter the signal from the sensors to the ecu and since the ecu is always learning and making adjustments then your tune will never be fully accurate and will always change. If you run a chipped ecu and a tune it will stay the same, make more power, and be more safe. Ecu=$150, crome=free, chipping=~$50-100 depending on if you do it yourself or not OBD conversion harness ~$100 (optional if you want to rewire it yourself, yes it's a huge pain in the *** but it would save you some money if you are willing to try it). If you can pay for the turbo kit you should be able to pay for tuning it the right way.

Props for wanting to do it yourself and learn, I wish more people had that attitude.
Phearable.net sells a socketed OBD1 ECU with basemap/chip and conversion harness for around $250. If you really wanna learn to do it yourself HERE IS A TUNING KIT. Wideband will be neccesarry for the tuning, That kit looks like it will get you started though.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:14 PM

alright, thanks for all the help guys.

I was reading and somewhere on the forum it was mentioned that you can't really chip an Auto ECU, well you still can but it's rarely successful.
Is this true?
I don't want to do the auto to manual swap right now (I was planning on waiting until my transmission goes out, if it does), so should I just go with a piggyback unit like GReddy e-manage or the AEM standalone unit?

Old 03-31-2008, 05:22 PM
HCF Member

Piggybacks suck and so do auto transmissions.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:31 PM
HCF Member

See I have to dis-agree with this one, as fun as a manual is to drive, it will never be as consistant as an auto IMO. Also with an auto at the light just press the break and gas and it generates boost. Let go of gas and launch. Before you go doing that to much make sure you upgrade your trans cooler!
You can have an automatic built up to handle all the power with Level 10 valve body, high flow oil pump, torque converter, I think IPT(Import Performance Transmission)still does Honda transmissions. I miss my boosted automatic . You know how nice it is to smoke a vette and eat a big mac, drink a coke at the same time!

Old 03-31-2008, 05:50 PM
HCF Member

You can launch and build boost with a manual also, it is called preloading. Honda autos just can't take the power like manuals can.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:40 PM

Yea well the tranny swap is out of the question for now, so what should i run for tuning? Should I just use the e-manage in this scenario?