ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

ECU's and Turbo's

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 04:42 PM
HCF Member
Question ECU's and Turbo's

I have a 1988 CRX Si and it won't start. ( No code in the ECU, and no spark) All the troubleshooting flowcharts eventually lead one to install a test harness. At a cost of over $200 from the factory, I'm going to build one. I'm eventually wanting to do a small turbo on the stock engine. The car now has an OBD0 on board.(PGM6) Are these "tunable"? (for the turbo) If they are why is everyone changing to an OBD1.(Is it for the OBD1 test connector) I wanted to know before I build my test harness so I can add the parts to my list to build the converstion harness also(OBD0-OBD1). I have read for awhile on several sites but I haven't seen this covered. Thanks for any help and if I have missed the info on this site I appolligize for the redundancy.

Last edited by notnormal; 10-06-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Chubby Chaser

for your spark problem have you tested your coil?
also obd1 is the best user friendly tuneable ecu

Old 10-06-2009, 06:59 PM
HCF Member

Yea, I have Ohm'd the coil to be within specs, Also performed all the recommended checks (TDC/CRANK/CYL) up to needing the test harness. I had a miss on #1 to start with so I thought I'd do a tune-up. Changed cap, button, wires, plugs. Now it won't hit a lick. Some mechanic huh. LOL. I'm suspecting the Igniter Unit. I have voltage on the BK/YEL @ the 2 P connector. So I need to check Voltage from B15 to A18 & B17 to A18. Hence the need for the test harness. Thanks for the quick reply. Thanks for the heads up on the ECU's I'll round up the needed items to build the conversion harness for later use on the OBD1

Old 10-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Chubby Chaser

you also need a 4wire o2 sensor when you convert to obd1.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:46 PM
HCF Member

From what I've read so far that is also called a "wide band" I know this will seem like a dumb question....but here goes....do I need to rewire part of my OBD0 harness or change it out to a OBD1 harness to wire the 4 wire O2. I'm assuming this is for the ECU and better tuning later? I know I need to do alot more research before I start anything. But I have to start somewhere. Thanks for all the info.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:08 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by notnormal
From what I've read so far that is also called a "wide band" I know this will seem like a dumb question....but here goes....do I need to rewire part of my OBD0 harness or change it out to a OBD1 harness to wire the 4 wire O2. I'm assuming this is for the ECU and better tuning later? I know I need to do alot more research before I start anything. But I have to start somewhere. Thanks for all the info.
Sorry, but why dont you just buy a conversion harness?

Old 10-07-2009, 03:33 AM
HCF Member

Didn't know there was one. Is this for the sensor or the ECU or for the total OBD0 to OBD1? I'll research that also. Thanks. Please remember, I know very little about this subject. But I'm learning and its not outside my capabilities once I gain some of the knowledge you guys posses. Every little bit helps. Is there any wiring diagrams out there?

Old 10-07-2009, 04:35 AM
Chubby Chaser

you can buy it from
http://rywire.com/store/obd0-obd1-co...ness-p-37.html

it plugs right into your obd1 ecu, and into the existing obd0 harness,
you will need to run the wires from the 4 wire o2 sensor to the ecu yourself(very easy)
depending on which 02 sensor you get (honda or universial)
Name:  o2.jpg
Views: 18255
Size:  62.7 KB
Name:  o2car.jpg
Views: 3581
Size:  27.3 KB

Old 10-07-2009, 09:06 AM
HCF Member

Very Nice Info, Thanks, can you tell me what you think of TurboEdit for the PM6 and the OBD0. Thanks

Old 10-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Chubby Chaser

i suggest converting to obd1 and getting a p06 (if your gonna stay nonvtec)
and have it chipped with chrome,hondata, or something... call around to see if you can find a shop that programs ecu's and what they use (hondata,chrome,etc) then you can look on ebay for a p06 thats already chipped, then you can get your car once its done fully tuned and get the right power out of your motor.(dont try to chip a ecu yourself)

can you give us some more info on what all your doing as for the turbo install?
any upgrades to the engine or anything?

Quick Reply: ECU's and Turbo's