ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

ideas to increase hp??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 10:13 AM
Default ideas to increase hp??

i have a 99 civic si w a b16 v-Tech engine. iv had it for about a year and have been saving up money to start working on it this spring. im goin to put on an exhaust ofcourse, but am lookn for tips on other things i could do to increase hp w/o a swap or putn in a turbo, etc. i knw theres alot of computer related things i could do with the v-Tech, but not sure exactly what. any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated

Old 03-31-2009, 03:00 PM

If you don't want to boost, but want more than simple bolt-ons, I would suggest nitrous, or build it for some extra power. (Camshafts, cam gears etc etc)

Old 03-31-2009, 03:31 PM
HCF Member

To get some simple power out of the B16a do a good intake, header, exhaust, cams, cam gears, throttle body, intake manifold, and get a tune for the cams. this should get you close to 200hp at the crank. If you still want more power then you will need to do head work and up the compression to at least 11.1. But for all thatn money to build NA your could build a turbo kit for cheaper and make more power.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:14 PM

I hear Vonage has really good phone service. Try that.

Side note: V-Tech makes cordless phones. VTEC is the Honda phenomenon you are talking about.

Okay, but seriously now...
Like everyone else said... Intake/header/exhaust. Also, for another couple WHP (dyno proven 3WHP gain), you can get a Magnaflow high flow catalytic converter. They make direct-fit ones (bolt-on), and they can be found on summitracing.com for $150.

Now, for VTEC... leave VTEC alone. It's where it needs to be and VTEC should only be adjusted when dyno tuning. Believe it or not, lowering your VTEC engagement point to engage earlier can decrease your power and cause a semi-flat spot in your torque curve.

The proper way to adjust VTEC is to make a dyno run with VTEC set above redline, so that it doesn't engage, and then make a dyno run with VTEC set to engage immediately. Then you take the two graphs and lay them on top of each other and set VTEC to engage at the RPM where the two graphs' torque curves overlap.

Most importantly, don't cheap out on parts! Do research first. Most of the parts you will encounter have well-known reputations (whether it be good or bad) among Honda enthusiasts, and a simple search on that particular part should tell you what you need to know. Also, never make a decision based on one source, I have seen tons of newbs on Honda-tech recommend getting ebay turbos and other sketchy parts.

If you have a basic question about whether or not you should get a certain part and can't find an answer, feel free to ask me and i'll try my best to point you in the right direction.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 03-31-2009 at 08:27 PM.