ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

Last step: ECU

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:21 PM
HCF Member
Default Last step: ECU

Colllected all the oil/ftilers, K&N turbo filter, exhaust mani gasket, intercooler's installed, charge piping w/ T-Bolts is FINALLY here, A/C removed, BOV is mounted, DSM injectors have 2' of 14 gauge wire soldered to them so they're ready be soldered to the resistor box, in other words you guys, the last step is here with the ECU. Now he's the situation:

in my town, there used to be a guy with a wideband a chip burning stuff. But he moved to California. Now the closest tuner is 9 hours away in any direction; Minnesota, Downstate Michigan, Indiana, or somewhere in Wisconsin. SO driving on an OBD1 basemap is really not a good idea, and a tow down that far would be loooooong.

There IS a guy though that knows how to tune with E-Manage. My question: would a GReddy Emanage + a wideband mounted in my car 24/7 be okay for my setup? I found a few widebands i'd be able to afford in a while, then the Emanage, software, and both fuel and igntion harnesses is what i'm looking. I'd have contorl over both fuel supplied and be able to retard timing, idk, and theres a guy literally 10 miuntes away from where i sit right now that can tune for me. He used to drive a Prelude that had juice, idk i posted about it one time before, but anyway he has tuned his Prelude before and various other HOnda's too. He said he could wire in my E-manage and street tune my car for me. What should i do? CornBred Tuning will do 3 hours of street tuning on a chipped p06 for $150 + $40 wideband hookup, but i'll alreayd have my wideband, the only problem is that its BETWEEN 9 AND 10 HOURS AWAY [:@] will the Emanage cut it....? I'm runnign a turbo at 8 psi and it's smaller than a T25. You know the numbers aren't gonna be huge, my 4th cylinder ring's are looking iffy so i might have to rebuild down the road anyway, but for the time be ing would the Emanage work? I already reazlie OBD1 is better, you guys know i know that, but its like seriously almost not feasable to get my OBD1 ECU tuned.

EDIT: and what about the AEM Fuel/Ignition controller of some Apexi SAFC?

Old 02-19-2008, 05:07 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Last step: ECU

I wouldnt risk it. If you had a good enough basemap you could drive @ 60mph all the way down to cornbread. Yeah it'd be a long drive, but one day of driving slow is way cooler than emanage blowing your **** up

Old 02-19-2008, 08:21 AM
HCF Member

true true.....what should i do, just never hammer on the gas and take ALOT of time to get up to speed? I guess having a wideband in there during the drive would be super nice anyway....

Old 02-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

yeah, just give it like 30-40% (or whatever is short short of hitting boost) throttle while accelerating. Once you're up to speed, just keep it steady and try not to lay into the throttle

Old 02-19-2008, 10:40 AM
HCF Member

well MapQuest says it's a 9 hour trip to CornBred. Now i don't really know what i'd do if my clutch went or something went wrong the way down there, and it seems like it'd be dangerous driving on the freeway just becasue something could easily go wrong. What advantages does the OBD1 have over the fuel and ignition control of the AEM F/IC? I know i've asked it before, but i've never got specific details about the advantages of the OBD1 tune vs. the tuning of both the fuel and igniton with the AEM piggyback.