ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

Oxygen Sensor/ECM Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 08:01 AM
Default Oxygen Sensor/ECM Issue

Here's my dilemma. A month ago my Civic HX manual transmission, check engine light came on, the code came up as P1163 (slow response from sensor). I checked on a new sensor and found out it was $373 or more. I decided that before I spent that kind of money, I brought it to a local dealer to have it checked, they told me I needed a new computer and tried to sell me one from honda for over $1000, so i purchased a re-manufactured unit. Installed it and it worked fine for 2 weeks, then the engine light came on again. Same code P1163. At this point I am sure it's a bad O2 sensor. Hate to spend almost $400 on new sensor and find out that isn't it either. What would other people do?

Old 08-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

P1163 also can be caused by an exhaust system leak located somewhere between the primary and secondary O2 sensors. If no such leak can be found, then replacing the (expensive) primary O2 sensor should fix the problem.

I think I read somewhere that Honda dealerships so often recommend replacing an ECU, even if unnecessarily, because they are reimbursed for its cost by Honda. Can anyone verify this claim?

Last edited by RonJ; 08-02-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by RonJ
P1163 also can be caused by an exhaust system leak located somewhere between the primary and secondary O2 sensors. If no such leak can be found, then replacing the (expensive) primary O2 sensor should fix the problem.

I think I read somewhere that Honda dealerships so often recommend replacing an ECU, even if unnecessarily, because they are reimbursed for its cost by Honda. Can anyone verify this claim?
i can't verify that but they don't call it the stealership for nothing. i wouldn't doubt that they are trying to rip people off.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:46 AM
Default Same problem-recurring

This is amazing, I am having a very similar issue with my 2000 HX. It started with the ECM code P1163 and P1164. I bought a new O2 sensor (you can get one at Auto Medic Supply on the net for $300), the check engine light came back on. I then noticed a crack in the manifold and bought a new Honda one ($600), but the check engine light came on. So I took it to the dealership and they claimed I needed a new ECU, so I bought a rebuilt one, but the light still came on. I took it back to the dealership and they said I needed a new O2 sensor....again. I said screw it and had them replace it, but the light STILL CAME ON. I returned it to them AGAIN, and they told me the problem is I do not have the updated A33 ECU!!! This just does not make sense. Why would my car suddenly need an updated ECU when the car was built with the A32 series? PLEASE let me know if you ever figure this out.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:19 AM

I really hope that you are reading this before you go throwing money at your car like I did. So here is the issue with the car. A service bulletin was put out on the civic HX in Aug of 2000 describing the exact issue that you and I are having. It claims the only solution is replacing the ECU with the new 37820-P2N-A33 ECU instead of the original 37820-P2N-A32 that came with the car (and most likely is the remanufactured one you purchased). Basically, there is a glitch in the original ECU that will continue giving you problems. Now I guarantee nothing as mine is still in the shop and has yet to be tested, but I do have a copy of the service bulletin.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by sbblumhof
I really hope that you are reading this before you go throwing money at your car like I did. So here is the issue with the car. A service bulletin was put out on the civic HX in Aug of 2000 describing the exact issue that you and I are having. It claims the only solution is replacing the ECU with the new 37820-P2N-A33 ECU instead of the original 37820-P2N-A32 that came with the car (and most likely is the remanufactured one you purchased). Basically, there is a glitch in the original ECU that will continue giving you problems. Now I guarantee nothing as mine is still in the shop and has yet to be tested, but I do have a copy of the service bulletin.
Please post a link to the service bulletin.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:13 AM
Default ECM update?

sbblumhof - do you have an update based on your recent trip to the dealer for the revised ECM?

I have a '98 HX and went through very similar circumstances as the rest of you. Maybe five months ago, the heater circuit went out on the pri O2. I replaced it with a new L1H1 from eBay for $170. Then the manifold cracked so bad that it nearly split in half. I replaced it with a more stout manifold & downpipe from a '95 DX and installed a downstream cat from a Taurus.

Periodically, I've been getting P1165 CEL's. I just clear it out and it tends to stay away for a couple days. Just last night, the CEL popped up again. Two instances of P1165 and an instance of P1163 (the first time I've ever seen P1163).

Now it sounds like I need an updated ECM to mate with the new O2 sensor? Does anyone have a copy of the Tech Bulletin yet?

Old 10-31-2008, 06:16 AM

I do have a copy, and you will DEFINITELY need a new ECM. In my instance, the only reason I needed a new computer, in hindsight, is b/c of my driving style. If I drive the car nice, the computer has no problems, but if I drive it hard (as I usually do), it will kick the cel on every time. In your situation, you have added many parts that were not original to the car (mine is 100% stock), so your computer may not be able to handle the minute differences between stock and other parts. You can find the bulletin in a different search : https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=70307. I have researched the crap out of this stupid issues, so if you have any more questions please let me know.

Also, even after changing my driving style, the light kept coming on, so I removed the backup fuse to clear the code, and drove it around about 20 miles. After doing that, the code finally remained off (read on here that the computer can hold onto some codes even after being fixed and cleared).

Old 10-31-2008, 08:12 AM
HCF Member

i hope you replaced your cat with the new o2 sensors, when your o2 sensors fail most likely due to a bad cat fyi.so if u have a bad cat most likely it will make ur o2 sensors fail again.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:18 AM

The manifold to this vehicle has the cat attached.

Quick Reply: Oxygen Sensor/ECM Issue