ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

Should I replace ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 11:49 PM
Default Should I replace ECU?

I just bought a 98 Civic EX (automatic) with 20K miles (because it has been sitting for 6 years) but it has a problem shifting. It will not go below 3rd gear when put in overdrive. (Meaning I cannot take off from a stop while in overdrive.) It will only go into first gear when put into the lowest gear, D2, and then I have to manually move the shifter up a gear to get it out of first. From there, it will only stay in 2nd or 3rd gear (not sure which one), as long as I have my foot on the petal. If I take my foot off, the rpms drop as if it is shifting gear twice, but it immediately jumps back up if I put my foot back on the pedal. Confused?....Here's what else:

On the dash, my SRS, ABS, and Check Engine light are all continuously on. Also, the little box light that indicates which gear I'm in flashes around D4 (overdrive), no matter what gear I'm in, even park.

The car runs and drives fine, except like I said, I have to manually shift the automatic transmission into the lowest gear, and then shift it up aroun 2-3K rpm's. When I manually shift it, if shifts pretty hard, unless I can match up the rpms when I shift.

Autozone's diagnostic tool gave two codes: 700 (Transmission Control System Malfunction), and 1768 (Computer has detected short to ground, battery, ....... and something about Shift Solenoid D.

Any advice on what to do, or what may be the cause of the problems is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kenny