ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

Tell me what you think about this set-up

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 07:14 PM
Cat Fuсker
Default Tell me what you think about this set-up

For my turbo set-up I'm planning to use a VAFC, this, an adjustable FPR, and a whole array of gauges (A/F, boost/vacum, EGT, Oil pressure...). This is going to be handling boost levels of around 10 psi daily driving and around 15-18 for track days. Please tell me if I would be able to tune the thing with the VAFC using the wideband A/F readings. Please don't suggest hondata, or any other programmable system, not on my list for now. May be later. Any other electronics/tuning suggestions are wellcome.

Old 12-11-2005, 11:02 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Tell me what you think about this set-up

the AFC is not able to control the spark which is where it really falls short
From the ecu faq's.

I will not sugar coat it for you IMO both the S-AFC and the V-AFC are so far behind the times it is pathetic. I suggest you get a e-manage because you can pull base maps and get others to tune it over the internet for you. I would run a larger fuel pump and fuel injectors. E-manage will control your fuel fine. The LM-1 is a good unit, but as far as the afc hack I would not put that on a enemies car

Old 12-11-2005, 11:07 PM
Cat Fuсker

I guess I will need to save a few hundred more for this...I did think e-manage before, but it seemed expensive...now I kinda see that being greddy ain't gonna be good...

Old 12-11-2005, 11:19 PM
HCF Member

Man you can find a e-manage for around $300 and IIRC the AFC units go for around $200 or so right?

Old 12-11-2005, 11:53 PM
Cat Fuсker
Default .

I learned at work to never buy used, important electronics. So I'll have to shed out around 600 for the e-manage..

Old 12-11-2005, 11:55 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: .

Up to you but man atleast go find a EVO forum because they are all selling their upgrading to e-manage ultimate. You use pay-pal and you are covered.

Old 12-12-2005, 12:11 AM
Cat Fuсker

actually I was thinking of the e-manage ultimate...is it worth it over the cheaper one?

Old 12-12-2005, 01:07 AM
HCF Member

It does have more features but we put it on a buddies boosted 3rd gen eclipse and could not for the life of us get it to idle right plus it was throwing the air/fuels off bad. I am not downing it because I have not had enough time with one to be able to tell but to put it to you this way he sold it and went and bought a AEM EMS. The regular E-Manage is nice though when you couple it with the e-01 boost controller and to me the only advantage that the ultimate really would have for a mild boost setup dont even factor into honda's and that is it has the ability to trick the mass air flow sensor into thinking it is only seeing so much boost so that it will not throw cel's.

See a honda has a manifold absolute pressure sensor rather than a mass air flow and on top of that the map sensors on hondas will read up to 11psi, now this is not saying it will be able to compensate for the amount of pressure it will just allow that much before it starts retarding the hell out of the timing.

As far as engine management, I will also throw Uberdata out there as it is very nice. If you would like check out the forum for uberdata and make your own choice. But in the end it is up to you, you are the one who will use it and in your mind know what you want both now and in the future, but do think about the future when picking mods because you do not want to buy something now like a afc and a year down the road have to upgrade because you are wanting a better setup.

Old 12-12-2005, 01:09 AM
HCF Member

My bad here is Uberdata's sight and a page you can download maps from

http://uberdata.pgmfi.org/forum/index.php

http://www.xenocron.com/bins/index.p...ctory=Uberdata

Read up on it and see if you like it, i can maybe get a ecu chipped for you if you would like then all you would have to do is buy a chip burner, download maps, burn them onto a chip and go.

Old 12-12-2005, 01:15 AM
Cat Fuсker

what happens past 11psi of boost and what can I do to avoid it?

I might have an EPROM burner at work...and as far as chipping goes, do I just need to socket the ECU?

Quick Reply: Tell me what you think about this set-up