EG Swaps 1992-1995 Civics

92 Honda Civic Ex engine swap

Old 02-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Default 92 Honda Civic Ex engine swap

I'm looking to swap out my motor from my 1992 honda civic ex car. The engine in it is a d16y7 engine and I want to swap it for a Vtex DOHC engine. Whats the best engine for my car model? I have the funds and i'm looking to turbo and completely redo the car.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:31 AM

Give us your power goals, amount of money you want to spend, and let us know if you plan on doing all of the work yourself, or if you plan on having a shop do the work.

Just a really quick break down:

GSR (B18c1) swap: $3000
Turbo set-up: $2000
Tuning stuff: $1000

Depending on the size of the turbo, you can easily get 300+ whp out of this set-up.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
Give us your power goals, amount of money you want to spend, and let us know if you plan on doing all of the work yourself, or if you plan on having a shop do the work.

Just a really quick break down:

GSR (B18c1) swap: $3000
Turbo set-up: $2000
Tuning stuff: $1000

Depending on the size of the turbo, you can easily get 300+ whp out of this set-up.
Well i'm not 100% what I can get out of it. Right now im looking for a engine thats the best option that'll fit in my brand of car with the easyiest transfer. This is my first project car and i'll be doing the work on my own and my uncle of a mechanic of 25+ years. I'm not sure what i should replace and what has to be replaced. Is there a difference between the B18C1 and C5?

Old 02-09-2012, 12:46 PM

Not looking to spend over 7,500.

*Merged post*

I also found this website offering engine sets complete

COMPLETE PACKAGE JDM ENGINE B18C-R LSD 96-97

Would something like this work in my car and would buing it like this be worth it or a waste?

*Merged post*

*Buying

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 02-09-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:49 PM

Merged your posts. Please click the "edit" button in the bottom right corner of your post to edit anything you need instead of double posting. It is just a pet peeve of mine

Anyways, b18c1 is a GSR motor, b18c5 is a type R motor. GSR motors are easier to find and cheaper, but a C5 would be the best of course. Check out wikipedia.org to find motor specs of each.

$7.5k is a good amount of money. I am sure you can get everything done with that amount of money... maybe some leftover for stuff like suspension upgrades to help you get that power to the ground.

Since your possibilities are almost endless right now, you need to sit down and figure out how much power you want to see out of this build. Then, pick a motor and turbo. I would highly suggest making sure you buy an OBD1 motor, nothing else. OBD1 is just much more tuning friendly in every way you can think.

Never heard of that seller you linked. A lot of us would recommend Specializing in JDM-USDM Engines & Parts...hmotorsonline.com.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:05 PM

Anyways, b18c1 is a GSR motor, b18c5 is a type R motor. GSR motors are easier to find and cheaper, but a C5 would be the best of course. Check out wikipedia.org to find motor specs of each.

$7.5k is a good amount of money. I am sure you can get everything done with that amount of money... maybe some leftover for stuff like suspension upgrades to help you get that power to the ground.

Since your possibilities are almost endless right now, you need to sit down and figure out how much power you want to see out of this build. Then, pick a motor and turbo. I would highly suggest making sure you buy an OBD1 motor, nothing else. OBD1 is just much more tuning friendly in every way you can think.

Never heard of that seller you linked. A lot of us would recommend Specializing in JDM-USDM Engines & Parts...hmotorsonline.com.
Oh another thing I forgot to add was the Honda I have has 290k on the body and is there anything I should think about when doing this? Well i'm not even sure what kind of power I can get, all I know is I want something I can put together with the least ammount of problems and conversions, replace everything I need to so I won't snap, break, or twist something. I just want to build something that i'm proud of and can say "I built that."

Ahh I just found it online, but would this engine go in easy?

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30010

the 96-97 model.

I plan on getting the engine and replacing pretty much anything stock and almost rebuilding the entire engine area.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:38 PM

I cant see anything you would need to upgrade in order to run that motor. I would leave the motor as is. What is the compression ratio of the c5 motor? You do not want too much compression when boosting. I think the c5 motor has more compression than the GSR (c1) motor, thus the reason I suggested that. I am sure many people out there have boosted the c5 motor without problems and yielding nice numbers.

A B series swap is the easiest swap you can do (except putting another D series in). There are many guides and what not floating around the web regarding swap information. If you have any specific questions, let us know.

You should make up a project thread and keep us updated!

Old 02-10-2012, 04:57 PM

I cant see anything you would need to upgrade in order to run that motor. I would leave the motor as is. What is the compression ratio of the c5 motor? You do not want too much compression when boosting. I think the c5 motor has more compression than the GSR (c1) motor, thus the reason I suggested that. I am sure many people out there have boosted the c5 motor without problems and yielding nice numbers.

A B series swap is the easiest swap you can do (except putting another D series in). There are many guides and what not floating around the web regarding swap information. If you have any specific questions, let us know.

You should make up a project thread and keep us updated!

This is my other account I made a while ago. The other one was my Facebook linked thing.

Well i'm going to replace the axles since i'll already be in the area because it has 290k on them and I have NO idea what they did to the body before I bought it. I've been looking online and I shouldn't replace the cam shaft, pistons, valves, shift linkage, or anything else that is made aftermarket?

Haha yea, that is the one good thing about it being popular.

I'll do that once I get everything figured out and started.

** I was looking at getting this setup.
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30009

So I wouldn't want to replace the Clutch, Flywheel, Intake/Exhaust manifold, Fuel Rail, Fuel Pump, or Injectors?Wouldn't replacing those increase the hp of it?
Also it mentions about half shafts, what does that do to it vs a full shaft? And the guy I purchased it from said it had Si motor mounts in it should I install the stock motor mounts it comes with, use the ones I have, or buy some aftermarket special ones?

Last edited by Idrivenaked; 02-10-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Idrivenaked
This is my other account I made a while ago. The other one was my Facebook linked thing.

Well i'm going to replace the axles since i'll already be in the area because it has 290k on them and I have NO idea what they did to the body before I bought it. I've been looking online and I shouldn't replace the cam shaft, pistons, valves, shift linkage, or anything else that is made aftermarket?

Haha yea, that is the one good thing about it being popular.

I'll do that once I get everything figured out and started.

** I was looking at getting this setup.
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30009

So I wouldn't want to replace the Clutch, Flywheel, Intake/Exhaust manifold, Fuel Rail, Fuel Pump, or Injectors?Wouldn't replacing those increase the hp of it?
Also it mentions about half shafts, what does that do to it vs a full shaft? And the guy I purchased it from said it had Si motor mounts in it should I install the stock motor mounts it comes with, use the ones I have, or buy some aftermarket special ones?
Pick one account, and I will remove the other. PM me with which one to keep/remove. If I don't hear from you, I will pick one myself to remove.

Where this axle talk come from? Putting in a B series motor, you need b series axles, so expect to replace them regardless.

Yes, you replace the wear items. Timing belt, tensioner, clutch, flywheel, gaskets, etc etc etc etc. These items (as well as the fuel rail/injectors/pump) will not raise HP. Intake and exhaust will give you a very little bit of extra power. Bolt ones will not do much for Honda motors. Unless you want to rip apart the motor, don't bother with anything like cams, or pistons, etc. If you have this many questions regarding a simple motor swap (simple for me, I understand you may be new to this), I would definitely suggest NOT to start putting aftermarket items in which would require additional tuning.

Google half shaft. D series driver side axle goes from the hub all the way to the transmission. Anything else has a half shaft bolted to the motor. Once you look at the axle set-up on both vehicles, you will understand what is going on immediately.

I think you will need aftermarket mounts. The 88-91 Civic SI came with a D series, just like all of the other 88-91 Civics. The mounts are not any different then a regular 88-91 Civic from what I have seen. D series and B series mounts are different in the 88-91 civic chassis. I would suggest to do a little more researching on this sicne i never worked on 88-91 Civic before.

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 02-11-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:43 PM

Pick one account, and I will remove the other. PM me with which one to keep/remove. If I don't hear from you, I will pick one myself to remove.

Where this axle talk come from? Putting in a B series motor, you need b series axles, so expect to replace them regardless.

Yes, you replace the wear items. Timing belt, tensioner, clutch, flywheel, gaskets, etc etc etc etc. These items (as well as the fuel rail/injectors/pump) will not raise HP. Intake and exhaust will give you a very little bit of extra power. Bolt ones will not do much for Honda motors. Unless you want to rip apart the motor, don't bother with anything like cams, or pistons, etc. If you have this many questions regarding a simple motor swap (simple for me, I understand you may be new to this), I would definitely suggest NOT to start putting aftermarket items in which would require additional tuning.

Google half shaft. D series driver side axle goes from the hub all the way to the transmission. Anything else has a half shaft bolted to the motor. Once you look at the axle set-up on both vehicles, you will understand what is going on immediately.

I think you will need aftermarket mounts. The 88-91 Civic SI came with a D series, just like all of the other 88-91 Civics. The mounts are not any different then a regular 88-91 Civic from what I have seen. D series and B series mounts are different in the 88-91 civic chassis. I would suggest to do a little more researching on this sicne i never worked on 88-91 Civic before.
I just only ask because I see so many different options and it's overwhelming what I exactly need for swapping the engine and tuning whatever needs to be while it's already out.

88-91? Where did you get this from? I have a 92 DX with a 96 SI engine in it. I'm sure he used the mounts from the 96 because he said they were SI mounts. (told me they were the best made in Hondas or some bullish)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 92 Honda Civic Ex engine swap