EG Swaps 1992-1995 Civics

To swap or not to swap . . ..

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 06:20 AM
Default To swap or not to swap . . ..

I have a 95 ex coupe and i'm leaking AND burning oil on 180k. I would really just like to figure out if its worth it to repair my motor or swap. I have the d16z6. if i swap i want a frankenstein, but i'm concerned about what i've heard about drilling through my motor for the extra oil passage. from what i've read that is necessary for the vtec. please correct me if im wrong.

basically if i repair my motor i'll upgrade the internals of the enging while im there and i'm expecting that to be around $500. does that sound right?

the swap - around $3000? . . .

does this sound accurate??

Old 08-22-2006, 05:53 AM
Default RE: To swap or not to swap . . ..

leaking and burning oil, sounds like piston rings are shot.

To repair would be to remove the head, loosen the transmission to loosen the crank to then undo your rod? to then pull out your pistons, remove bad piston rings, replace, re-hone your sleeves, and while you're inside, replace your bearings, (meanwhile your cynlinder head should be in the shop getting checked/rebuilt maybe even ported and polished too)

parts $300 for the re-ring kit(bearings,pistonrings,gaskets) timing belt $100, water pump $25

labor = unknown ( i do all my own work ) im guessing $350-500 to rebuild

Or the alternative;a direct replacement motor swap $500 with low miles.

do a motor swap, but a direct replacement, JDM D15b Vtec, you can find them for as little as $350 plus S+H is about 150-250 depending on your location and if you are getting it shipped to a business or house. They are used, but very low miles (for hondas) 35,000-60,000mi some are as low as 25,000mi and are tested for leaks and compression, on top of that, most importers carry a 60 to 90 day Start up Warrenty.

I heard a lot of great things about these motors, how their Vtec kicks in aggressively when you want it to go fast, and gets great gas mileage when you're driving nicely. Best of both worlds. I own a 95 Civic DX coupe, it has the D15B7, I plan on doing this easy swap myself. I read about doing a mini-me swap, installing your Z6 cynlinder head on my block, to get Vtec, but I heard the JDM D15B's block can handle more heat due to oil squirters, is more fit for the aggressive Vtec then my D15B7 block, but many people have done the mini-me and love it.

I see it practical to rebuild your own motor, IF you're doing your own work. But... if you think the job may over-whelm you, dont under take it. I believe that swapping the motor out with one that you know runs great, sounds like a better outcome, then having to repair the one that is in there now. That way, you can have the D16Z6 out of the box, getting worked on or sold, while you run the JDM D15B.

I have a running D15B7, but if it gives me any problems... its OUT, and a JDM D15B Vtec is going in, just needs a few things, install the JDM D15B's ECU and I have to run 2 wires to the Vtec Selenoid. In the long run, I see the D15B coming out and a K20a going in, but until then I need the car running good so I can go to work to make that money for that $3000 :P. I've heard people doing a JDM D15B Vtec swap in just a few days into a direct swap in chassis. It seems very practical to me, the price is right.

My friend owns a 89 CRX, it has the D15B2 90hp motor, which isn't much different from my D15B7 100hp (1.5L non-vtec) anyway, he just bought this CRX and it was leaking oil and smoking, I checked the car out(haven't done a compression check) but I am pretty sure his piston rings are shot. I told him that either way, if I have to help him replace his piston rings I will, but I told him doing a JDM D15b vtec motor swap would be in a way, easier(for me) and him in the long run. It would be an upgrade for his car, and mine, but it would be a direct replacement 130hp motor for your EX coupe. Nice choice of car btw, I would like the options, but I like the less weight of the DX. It shows on the track, I drag my DX coupe, I do 10.004 second 1/8 mi. now, but I never did a Stock time, darn. I probably would have gotten horrible times like 15 seconds.

For what it is, the civics of 92-95 are slow but light, stock. But they are pretty quick when they are modded, and FAST when they have Swaps and/or turbos!

Hope this helps.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:10 PM

no if you want a minime you do not have to drill anything i have done 3 of them.you just pull out the port hole under the head on the block. upgrading the internals with the rebuild kit will be more then 500 man i would just go with jdm d15b you can get them cheap about $350 + shipping 3000 for what swap ? i hope your not talking about a sohc swap ..you can get the d15b full swap for about $800 shipped that motor, tranny and ecu everything i have had 2 of the d15b's one of them is turbo and its faster the my jdm b16 swap its a great engine and will take a beating
ORIGINAL: taintedsaint

I have a 95 ex coupe and i'm leaking AND burning oil on 180k. I would really just like to figure out if its worth it to repair my motor or swap. I have the d16z6. if i swap i want a frankenstein, but i'm concerned about what i've heard about drilling through my motor for the extra oil passage. from what i've read that is necessary for the vtec. please correct me if im wrong.

basically if i repair my motor i'll upgrade the internals of the enging while im there and i'm expecting that to be around $500. does that sound right?

the swap - around $3000? . . .

does this sound accurate??

Old 09-24-2006, 11:22 AM

if you have to do rings, its a breeze, i did it in like 5 hours. you gotta pull the head, drop the oil pan (after taking off the exhaust up to the cat) then the rods are right there, dont need to take anything else out, all the tranny mounts and motor mounts stay in place, then after u get the pistons out, hone the engine and clean off the pistons, put rings on and put it together. if u have some auto experience, its not too bad, but if ur not sure, then ull prolly b there a while

Old 05-16-2008, 04:46 AM

where did you find a vtec for $350. im looking for one and am interested/