EK Swaps 1996-2000 Civics

d16 dead, time to go DOHC, which swap?

Old 02-22-2010, 01:31 PM
HCF Member
Default d16 dead, time to go DOHC, which swap?

okay guys ill say this first and foremost, i searched and couldnt find any great info on what im looking for some im gonna ask you guys, sorry if i could have found it by searching but i tried and didnt.

the d16 died on me recently, got bad rod knock and ive decided to go DOHC. I dont have much money but here there are afew things i must retain, my AC and my PS, oh and cruise control.

i was told a b16 doesnt need any other parts to make the AC and PS work on a formerly SOHC car but a b18 requires a different AC component.

also ive been looking around www.hmotorsonline.com because alot of my friends got motors from them and have had nothing but great results and better service. Is there anywhere else as good as them that might be selling 99-2000 SI motors?

should i go b16 or b18, and if so which one, remember im on a budget but i wanna get the right motor first, i might boost it later also, but thats a maybe.

Thanks ALOT guys you are the best, fo sho.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:42 PM
HCF Member

I didn't think any D series accessory would work on the B series motor. I bet you can get a conversion kit though.

B18 FTW.....No P/S FTW.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:57 PM

I hear B16s aren't great for boost. B18s is better for it.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Huh? B16's love them some boost; they have a lower power ceiling than, say, a GSR engine, but the B16's power ceiling is still well above what you can put down while still getting traction.

Personally, I'd go with a GSR (USDM B18C1) over a B16 (the one in the Si is the B16a2).

But another option to consider would be swapping in another D16y8 and prepping it for boost. You can usually pick up a running D-series for $300-$500 from someone that's swapped it out. A cam would be around $800 if you get new valves and springs. Its 9.6:1 CR isn't bad for boost unless you're running a lot of pressure, so you really wouldn't need to build the bottom end unless you're shooting for more than ~250whp. Then you'll still have money left over to put towards a turbo setup compared to what you'd have spend on a B-series.

I'm not saying you should go for a SOHC (obviously you want a DOHC), but I figured I'd present the other side of the argument

Old 02-22-2010, 06:29 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by reaper2022
Huh? B16's love them some boost; they have a lower power ceiling than, say, a GSR engine, but the B16's power ceiling is still well above what you can put down while still getting traction.

Personally, I'd go with a GSR (USDM B18C1) over a B16 (the one in the Si is the B16a2).

But another option to consider would be swapping in another D16y8 and prepping it for boost. You can usually pick up a running D-series for $300-$500 from someone that's swapped it out. A cam would be around $800 if you get new valves and springs. Its 9.6:1 CR isn't bad for boost unless you're running a lot of pressure, so you really wouldn't need to build the bottom end unless you're shooting for more than ~250whp. Then you'll still have money left over to put towards a turbo setup compared to what you'd have spend on a B-series.

I'm not saying you should go for a SOHC (obviously you want a DOHC), but I figured I'd present the other side of the argument
before this is was SOHC-T FTW but d16y8's are hard to come by around here it seems like, and i cant find one for sale from a reputable used engine dealer. I dont need another box of problems, thats why i looked hmotors because ive heard great things about them and they come with a good warrenty.

so b18c1? its gonna be awhile till i go boost will this thing still pack plenty of punch? and i think i will ditch the PS BUT im not losing my ac, 125 degree summers, no thank you. What will i need with the b18 GSR motor to run AC? and will the complete swap from hmotors have everything i need or what else will i need to buy (btw im looking at complete changeovers not the motor trans ecu ones)

Old 02-23-2010, 12:43 PM
HCF Member

bueller?

so if i order a complete changeover from hmotorsonline will it come with everything i need?

if i get the b18 GSR swap will i need anything to make the ac work right in my 97 ek coupe?

Old 02-23-2010, 08:51 PM

Im pretty sure D-series AC and B-series AC are different.

But the GSR engine is a good choice.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:37 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by WellFedHobo
Im pretty sure D-series AC and B-series AC are different.

But the GSR engine is a good choice.
my friend had a GSR motor in his 99 ex and said ill need 2 SI motor mounts supposidly and then a Del Sol AC bracket. He had ice cold ac in his civic with the b18 so i know this will work.

i gotta get the money now is the thing.

Thanks for the help people.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:21 AM

^del Sol VTEC A/C Bracket (del sol that came with B16)

But this shouldn't be any different than a 99-00 Si A/C Bracket...

Just like the D-series del Sol A/C brackets are the the same as D-series Civic A/C brackets, depending on the engine. The only engine that came in a del Sol that didn't come in any Civic was the 94-95 B16A3. All other engines for del sol were D16Z6 (93-95 Si), D15B7 (93-95 S), D16Y7 (96-97 S), D16Y8 (96-97 Si), and B16A2 (96-97 del Sol VTEC). All of those engines also came in Civics. So I don't know why your friend would mention it having to be from a del Sol.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 02-24-2010 at 02:26 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:21 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
^del Sol VTEC A/C Bracket (del sol that came with B16)

But this shouldn't be any different than a 99-00 Si A/C Bracket...

Just like the D-series del Sol A/C brackets are the the same as D-series Civic A/C brackets, depending on the engine. The only engine that came in a del Sol that didn't come in any Civic was the 94-95 B16A3. All other engines for del sol were D16Z6 (93-95 Si), D15B7 (93-95 S), D16Y7 (96-97 S), D16Y8 (96-97 Si), and B16A2 (96-97 del Sol VTEC). All of those engines also came in Civics. So I don't know why your friend would mention it having to be from a del Sol.
i forgot to say del sol vtec bracket, left out the vtec part. Thats what he used on his GSR swapped EK.

where would i find the 2 mounts needed and the ac bracket?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: d16 dead, time to go DOHC, which swap?