Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

05 Civic LX Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 02:50 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 05 Civic LX Coupe

FYI- Honda Tuning ran an article on DC Sports I/H/E on this Civic and they only got 5hp TOTAL. You might get 10 by checking to see what the Tech Pages in Import Turner say about 01-05 Civics, they're not the best but at least you can see the graphs and check their test conditions. But 10 is very optimistic in these Civics.

Honestly, I never drive my car hard enough to engage the VTEC, so if you plan on flooring your car wherever you go (which will reduce your gas mileage) you wont really see those extra horsepower. Most of those 12 HP are in the last 1000 RPM before redline. Maybe a couple can be found in the bottom range vs the LX but you're better off going with a turbo.

Old 10-08-2006, 12:13 AM

Well idk about the hp reviews that you guys may have read but I have a 05 LX w/pulley kit, intake, cat-back exhaust, iridium spark plugs, and grounding wires and that def. gives me more than 10 horses. I want to turbo in the future but for now im fine with it. I raced this guy w/a stock LX coupe 04 and mine is a sedan and i completely owned him by like over 10 car lenghts ahead so idk you guys make it seem like i/h/e and other little parts do almost nothing. I mean if u want just a good every day driver that sounds nice and runs well and want to notice a good difference in acceleration then go w/some parts that I have

Hey does any1 kno how to make the check engine light come off and fix that situation safely? (im still under warranty) -i was thinking about putting a EX model DC sports header w/ a Random Technology high-flow cat that is direct-bolt-on.

Old 10-08-2006, 02:06 AM

ORIGINAL: zerocool
Honestly, I never drive my car hard enough to engage the VTEC
If you're talking about a 7th gen ex then this is pretty funny. All ex's came with Vtec-E so you were probably always using it.
-d

Old 10-08-2006, 07:23 AM

Hey does any1 kno how to make the check engine light come off and fix that situation safely? (im still under warranty) -i was thinking about putting a EX model DC sports header w/ a Random Technology high-flow cat that is direct-bolt-on.
You should really find out what code the CEL is for, if you know the code then please post it.

Putting a DC header and RT cat would actually throw another code, not get rid of one. If it is the after cat O2 sensor malfunction/high voltage/low voltage/ect. look into an O2 simulator.

As for your 150hp total (I'm assuming at the wheels), even full bolt-ons won't get you that (you can check my gallery out, even with what I have done I'm expecting ~140 at the wheels without using the N2O), if you are planning on turboing the car, then pass on the DC header and RT cat and save the money, get some headwork done, PnP vavletrain and Stage 1 cam. You'd see a much bigger difference going with the headwork over the header and cat.

Like most people said these cars are very hard to work with, but it is not impossible, and definately not only possible with a turbo.

Old 10-08-2006, 10:36 AM

no i dont know the CEL code, but i found this CEL light iliminator from weapon-r. idk if that would do it or not but hey wat were you talking about this:
get some headwork done, PnP vavletrain and Stage 1 cam. You'd see a much bigger difference going with the headwork over the header and cat.
I dont know too much about all that, can you send me a link or something so i can get some price ranges, hp ranges, and wat not?

Old 10-08-2006, 10:39 AM

weapon-r cel light eliminator

^this was wat i was talking about^

Old 10-08-2006, 05:03 PM

PnP = Port and Polish - a local mechanic might be able to do this - good Pnp ~$500+ (wait till after valvetrain for this, ask for port matching also)

Valvetrain - springs, retainers, valves whole package look anywhere from $300-$500

Stage 1 cam - slightly more aggressive than the stock cam, does not require forged rods and pistons nor an EMS. $300-400 Stage 2 will require these.

All that on the D17 engine I'm gonna guess 15whp, maybe more.

A CEL eliminator is a horrible idea, at the stage where you are at. Go to Adavance Auto and get them to pull the code.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:24 AM

where can i get valvetrain stuff and stage 1? can u send me a website or something

Old 10-09-2006, 09:02 PM

Google is your best friend. 05 Civic valvetrain will get you thousands of hits. Same with stage 1 cam.

Old 10-10-2006, 02:44 PM

ok will this work??? i have LX model so idk about the VTECH part

if u look at bottom right side of page it has the valve train kit that is needed

Quick Reply: 05 Civic LX Coupe