HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   1995 Civic 1.6 Vtec engine performance upgrades (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/1995-civic-1-6-vtec-engine-performance-upgrades-77423/)

trustdestruction 08-03-2009 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback (Post 661551)
a stock engine is stock tuned

Are you trying to say that he can't get tuned because his class is stock?

He can get his stock ECU socketed and chipped, tuned on Crome. It will easily pass visual inspection unless they for some reason take the ECU apart and just happen to know what they're looking for.

94civichatchback 08-03-2009 08:35 PM

im saying having a stock engine and getting it tuned seems to be a waste to me
build the engine a little then get it tuned..

trustdestruction 08-03-2009 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback (Post 661555)
im saying having a stock engine and getting it tuned seems to be a waste to me

It is... but he's not going to have a stock engine. He wants to upgrade his cam, and judging by how much more power he wants to gain, he'll need a much bigger cam, which will require a tune for the engine to run well.

Oh, and for your injectors, 330cc should be enough... stock injectors (240cc) might be enough though... i don't know.

94civichatchback 08-03-2009 10:12 PM

i said that because he mentioned about if he can just get the ecu tuned only

trustdestruction 08-03-2009 10:14 PM

Oh, I didn't see where he asked that. Yeah, getting a tune isn't going to help enough by itself.

jsteele 08-04-2009 05:08 PM

Well, I appreciate all your help so far guys. About that Frankenstein swap thing, what exactly is involved? I am looking for the best way to get a little more out of this thing, for the least amount of money. I looked up most of the part's you suggested, and retail looks to be about 1000 bucks, plus the cost of the tune. Is there a better way, that I can get the power, and still pass tech? I don't think these guys are gonna check part #'s for such a low class. So if there is a similar block, or head off another car, that is not gonna be a huge pain to swap I would be interested. I am trying to gather as much info here as I can, since I no very little about these cars, and make the best decision possible.

Lewy2k 08-04-2009 09:49 PM

Your head and block are as best as it gets for the generation civic you have, other than swapping the motor itself you need to build the head and other internals. I dont know if there are any better transmissions that will bolt up to your z6, someone else will surely know on here.

trustdestruction 08-04-2009 09:51 PM

^The only better transmissions are the Y8, and the JDM D15B w/ LSD. The Y8 is made of steel, Z6 is aluminum. Y8 has one gear that is slightly shorter than that gear on the Z6. It's not a noticeable difference though. Then the JDM D15B w/ LSD is basically a Z6 transmission with LSD. There's not really any point in changing the transmission... if you want an LSD then just install an aftermarket one.

94civichatchback 08-04-2009 11:07 PM

all the stuff we mentioned is just idea's ...it all don't have to be done...
as for the frankinstien thing you cant do it ..... its a DOHC B20 block from like a honda crv
and Like a B16 head on it from a acrua integra... you cant do a big swap you said..

jsteele 08-04-2009 11:24 PM

Okay, one other question I have is, what exactly is vtec? I have heard a lot of talk about engaging it earlier, and vtec control's. Since my experience is mostly with, Chevy LT's and LS series engine's, I am not really sure what it is, or what exactly it does. Additionally, before I go buying part's, how do I make sure I have a 1.6 vtec? I know I have a 95 civic, based on the title at least, but all the rest of the car was stripped, when I got it. I did find that, only the 1.5 and 1.6 were offered in 1995, on the civic. I know chevy goes by the 8th digit on the vin #, but what does Honda do?