Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

'95 Civic EX overheating game

Old 08-11-2006, 02:07 AM
Default '95 Civic EX overheating game

1995 Civic EX D16Z6 1.6 VTEC is overheating, in a way.

My friend bought a 2005 Civic Hybrid. I'm either going to buy or help her sell the '95.

Within 3 freeway miles of the dealership where I picked up the '95, the coolant temp guage was pegged @ H. I cut the engine and coasted to the side of the freeway. No sight, sound nor smell of overheating but there was a small amount of coolant splashed onto the radiator. Back on freeway, all good, temp seemed normal, about 1/3 of the gauge's sweep and stayed there the rest of the day.

I called my friend for the history but she was oblivious to the problem.

Seemed to me that the thermostat was sticking so I replaced it. Seemed to fix the problem, as I ran the engine for at least 45 minutes with normal cooling system function; guage, thermostat, water pump and fan all work.

Ran some errands. No problems until, again, I got on the freeway within 3 minutes of a 10-15 minute stop in town. Same scenario as after leaving the dealer.

Spent some more time on it and discovered that the radiator has a hairline crack that seems to only leak when pressure builds. A new radiator arrived today and may possibly go in tomorrow afternoon. I won't have time this weekend.

I have a theory but I want to hear what the minds here at HCF have to say (more entertaining). Will replacing the radiator fix the problem that I described?

Old 08-11-2006, 02:22 AM
Default RE: '95 Civic EX overheating game

sounds like it will. my friend had the same problem. it only leaked when he got on the throttle on the highway and then the engine ran a fever. replaced the radiator, ran like a champ. it should work - hairline cracks are a bitch

Old 08-12-2006, 12:03 AM
Default RE: '95 Civic EX overheating game

yea its the crack alright, having anti-freeze in there makes the boiling point higher when under pressure, so therefore with the crack- it lets out pressure making the boiling point lower. hence the overheating. replace the radiator and add new coolant and u'll be good to go.

GOOD LUCK