Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

'99 EX engine into '98 DX Bubble

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Default '99 EX engine into '98 DX Bubble

Yes, I have searched and yes someone will probably post a reply with a link to a thread with exactly my same question with it already answered...so I apologize in advance if that is the case.

My girlfriend has a '98 DX hatch that she wants to swap an EX engine into. We got a great deal on the engine from a '99 EX. My question is what is going to be needed to complete this swap? Can I use the stock harness, get a v-tec ECU and make a few extra connections for the v-tec solenoid? Should/can I just use a v-tec controller? I understand there is a bit of a difference between the '96-'98 and '99-'00's? I believe one set is OBD-IIa and the other is OBD-IIb? The engine we got is complete with intake manifold, v-tec solenoid, injectors, and fuel rail. There is no wiring harness or ECU, nor will there be unless they have to be purchased for this project.

I thought it was a better idea to do the complete engine swap instead of a "mini-me" due to the low cost of this EX engine and it's lower mileage (not thatmiles matter much in honda-land =P ).

After this swap, the possibility of a homemade turbo kit might be in the works. I was thinking just a 14b @ 7-8psi max. Any thoughts?

Her and I both want to stick with the SOHC and get the best fuel economy possible while making it tolerable for her to drive her 3hr daily trip to school and back (she is used to her recently sold 300hp talon).