Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Adding power to D16Y7

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Default Adding power to D16Y7

I want to add some power to my Civic but not too much, I want to keep it cheap and quite. I dont really want to waste on CAI and Exhaust cus for the money they dont do much more than add noise(I think?). I heard that plug wires and high performance plugs may add a little power, any body know about that? what about cams/valves/pistons? any recomendations or advice would be nice... No turbo, maybe supercharger(cheaper than turbo?).. looking to add from 10-40WHP.. how hard is it to make it Vtec(and is it worth it)

Old 10-16-2008, 05:39 PM
HCF Member

wow, all i have to say is read the stickies in every section.

1. keep stock ignition if you're not doing anything crazy
2. intake/exhaust is the best bang for your buck.
3. cams/valves/ pistons will require an entire rebuild / tune. so not cheap.
4. if you want 10-40 whp, I say do a mini-me conversion, intake, exhaust, header, high flow cat....and you'll make you're goal.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:43 PM

thanks alot, yea i've been reading Stickies and they have cleared up a few things. So Wiring doesnt make any power difference(I heard good wires and plugs can add 5-10 hp? seems very far-fetched)

Old 10-16-2008, 08:15 PM
HCF Member

the stock honda ignition is the best there is for applications up to about 300-400hp (as an estimate)

Old 10-21-2008, 08:48 AM
Recognized HCF Member

swap a d16y8 transmission on your car and add a d16y8 head with vtec to it. properly wired off course

Old 10-21-2008, 01:56 PM
HCF Member

if you're thinking about getting power N/A, you might as well spend the money on boost, which would make more power easier and cheaper. OEM plugs/wires are fine, a nice I/H/E setup will give you some gains, a mini-me swap like riceburner mentionted is pretty good with VTEC, and specially if you swap over the y8/z6 intake mani and throttle body. It's not that hard, there's DIY's everywhere about it.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:19 PM

Thanks alot guys, your answering most of my questions. I think i am going to go buy a Magnalow Cat-Back (any one know about there cat-back's?) this week, and might just cut out my resonator to improve air intake, cus i am worried about flooding(where i live it rains heavy about 8 months of the year)

Old 10-22-2008, 08:17 PM
HCF Member

nitrous i think would b the best option for you, and intake and exhaust is not the best bang for you buck...sorry that stuff doesnt work so dont waste money on it especially if you want 40 more hp. Look into nitrous you might like that route better because you only get power when you need/want it. You must understand hp is going to cost money, turbo or engine swap will get you the best gains. Superchargers suk its just that simple....might as well go turbo and spend about the same money and get more hp

Last edited by croninc; 10-22-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:59 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by croninc
nitrous i think would b the best option for you, and intake and exhaust is not the best bang for you buck...sorry that stuff doesnt work so dont waste money on it especially if you want 40 more hp. Look into nitrous you might like that route better because you only get power when you need/want it. You must understand hp is going to cost money, turbo or engine swap will get you the best gains. Superchargers suk its just that simple....might as well go turbo and spend about the same money and get more hp
No Nitrous!!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:16 AM
HCF Member

Why not nitrous theres nothing wrong with it at all if done correctly just like a turbo supercharger , cams intake header exhaust etc.

Quick Reply: Adding power to D16Y7