Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Adding power to D16Y7

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 09:05 AM
HCF Member

Because it is stupid. I don't think he is taking this car to the track. Whats the point in it? Its dangerous.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:09 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by alejo97Cx
and might just cut out my resonator to improve air intake, cus i am worried about flooding(where i live it rains heavy about 8 months of the year)
What?

Old 10-23-2008, 09:13 AM
HCF Member

^ I was gonna say something about that too. Why cuz the res out? Make it louder? It just keeps it quiet right?

Old 10-23-2008, 11:08 PM

Would taking the resonator out help with air flow at all? make it more striaght in? flooding thing is cus doing that Vs cold air... I was thinking nitrous before, just like a 35-50 shot, i heard i could still keep stock wiring and everything else and when i wanted the power it would be there, alot cheaper too.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:46 AM
HCF Member

what resonator? Some kind of resonator in the intake? If so don't worry about it, hydro lock from sucking up water is a rare occassion unless you drive through a lake, and if you're really that worried about it get an air bypass valve.

And nitrous is just as doable as any other sort of modification if done right. Not always legal on the streets, but it adds power and can be just as reliable as anything else.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:45 AM

Yea, thats what i heard i have been doing some research on nitrous and it seems good; and alot cheaper too. And i was thinking that next season i will want to take my car to the track, not the strip, but to a road racing track there are a few near where i live. And if i had the money i would go for turbo but i'm only 17 and with my job it would take me another year of saving up to get one... plus my mom probably would not like the idea :P

Old 10-24-2008, 11:18 AM
HCF Member

haha i was 17 when i started saving up for mine with a minimum wage job. Took me exactly a year, and now i'm boosted! haha it's up to you

Old 10-25-2008, 12:09 AM

However much i would like boost, the cost is just to high for me (I am also saving up to go on a trip when i graduate). Aside from that, my car cost me $3300 around the same as a good turbo kit... those prices are just a bit too much for me. So back to nitrous.. is it good for anything besides a few seconds of fun at a time? I am reading the stickies on doing the D16Y8 switch but I am kind of sketch on that, I dont have any experiences breaking apart engines... I am lucky enough to have a school with a full auto shop and a good teacher, and i am usually pretty good at taking things apart and putting them back together but, head swaps and all the wiring necessary for that seems just a tad frightening.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:24 PM
HCF Member

You just gotta do it man the more you work on an engine the more familiar you will be with it, as far as nitrous goes it will last only as long as you have nitrous oxide in the bottle which varies directly with bottle size and the amount you are spraying.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:24 PM

I just got a Magnaflow Cat-Back, and did a little something to my air box, and now although the power gains are not that noticable, it sounds AWSOME!

Quick Reply: Adding power to D16Y7