Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Adding vetec on a non vtec car??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 11:14 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Adding vetec on a non vetec car??

yeah... i can't remember i think its 4800, someone correct me please... you should be able to hear it.

Old 02-14-2006, 06:10 AM
HCF Member

So if i got a vtec controller and set it to kick in around 3 or 3500 would it hurt anything?? Also what else can i do to this engine d16y8 besides swapping it or turboing to get some hp!!

Old 02-14-2006, 12:23 PM
HCF Member

do the normal bolt on's man... just look around the forums there's a ton of info..... get an intake throttle body and short ram (or CAI) then get a header and exhaust... do some suspension work.... if u don't wanna turbo or spend a ton of money those are really ur only choices... sorry. i guess u could use a bottle?!(NitrOuS)

Old 02-14-2006, 03:03 PM
HCF Member

No point in setting the vtec engaugement point any different than it allready is. Honda put it there for a reason and for any of us to say honda was wrong doing a certain thing to a car they designed would be retarded.

Old 02-14-2006, 03:08 PM

ORIGINAL: SITNLOW97

So if i got a vtec controller and set it to kick in around 3 or 3500 would it hurt anything??

you might not get a gain. like md said, honda put it there for a reason.

Old 02-14-2006, 03:10 PM
HCF Member

Gain ha you will loose power and gas milage

Old 02-14-2006, 03:48 PM

so why in the hell would respectable companies like JR put out a controller?

Old 02-14-2006, 04:47 PM

Because people will buy it.

Old 02-14-2006, 05:42 PM

sorry guys but that's bull****, if you get a vafc and adjust the vtec setting to a lower amount, say 4k, you won't see an overall power increase in horse power, but you will reach peak horse power EARLIER in the powerband. Honda set it that high because of GAS MILAGE. Honda set the vtec point at 5600RPM for no other reason, you will NOT lose power by setting it down, but you will throw CEL's like a mother. I don't have a vid, but back in the early stages of my car one of the first things I got was a VAFC. A buddy of mine had a Suburu 2.5RS, so we raced. I raced with stock settings and lost by about a car length. Then I adjust Vtec changeover and added just a tad fuel when it kicked in. I had it at 4k, so from 4k(new changeover point) to 5600(original changeover point) I added a little fuel to compensate for hitting peak horsepower ealier. I beat him 3 times straight, by over 2 cars, not a lot, but a big difference for a simple adjustment like that. Only bolt ons I had at the time was an AEM Cai, and catback 2" exhaust. Same drivers, same fuel, and to be honest I was a newb at racing so I was not a better driver of the two.

Old 02-14-2006, 06:21 PM
HCF Member

if you ajust the vtec lower you wont get maximum power from the lower RPM ranges because when you're down there and the vtec changes the cams over its set up for higher RPMs. Vtec was made so you can get optimum power and MPGs in each range of RPMs. it gives the car a wider powerband. if you **** with the timing ajustment you will have a big hole in the middle of your powerband because you will be in the lower RPMs on a higher RPM cam setup.

Quick Reply: Adding vetec on a non vtec car??