Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Any help? Random problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 12:53 AM
HCF Member
Default Any help? Random problem

On my 91 civic dx hatch, the 2nd spark plug keeps popping out of place. There is nothing in the way making it pop out externally, could it be something internally? It makes the car run like ****.

Old 07-16-2006, 05:00 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Any help? Random problem

so is it actualy the spark plugs poping out? or like the spark plug wire poping of the spark plug

Old 07-16-2006, 09:27 AM

Do you mean that the whole plug is poping out of the cylinder head??
Well, if that's the case, then yeah, something is forcing it out from the inside. Combustion!

Get the plug out and check the threads in the head and on the plug for damage. Hopefully, the plug is damaged because it's easy to replace. Otherwise, you'll have to get someone to rethread your cylinder head. If that's the case, you're probably just better off doing a head-swap than getting this repaired.

But if it's just the plug wire popping off of the plug, just go down to an auto supply store and get some new wires. They'll only be about $25 for a set of four Bosch wires or something. Just MAKE SURE THAT YOU REPLACE THEM IN ORDER ONE AT A TIME!!
But before you do that, take a look at the terminal on the spark plug and make sure that's it's not the problem. It could be some how damaged or misshapen and isn't holding the wire.

Old 07-16-2006, 02:20 PM
HCF Member

Its popping out of the head, I'll check the spark plug and see if it stripped. I recently had the head gasket replaced could there be a problem there?

Old 07-16-2006, 05:00 PM
HCF Member

I changed my plugs, wires, rotor, and button. hope it helps, but when I was changing my plugs there was oil on my 1st and 2nd plug. is that normal?

Old 07-16-2006, 05:25 PM
HCF Member

Sounds like whoever changed your headgasket made some serious mistakes...

Old 07-16-2006, 11:27 PM

It's definately not normal for there to be oil on your plugs. It's not an uncommon problem, but it's definately not good at all. What that means is that oil from your crankcase is blowing past the pistons and piston rings and mixing in with your combustion. When you run your car, you can see dark smoke coming from your exhaust I bet.

Also, are you sure it's oil? It could be carbon buildup or filth/fuel residue from running your engine too rich. Also, it could indicate a problem with your exhaust valves or entire exhaust system if the buildup on your plugs is the result of decreased exhaust flow which would leave behind combustion waste that is usually supposed to exit the chamber.
At any rate, if there's oil/grime on your plugs, there's probably oil/grime on your valves and piston head. Get a (good) mechanic to straighten it out.

edit: Whoever replaced your headgasket did make some mistakes. It sounds like it wasn't torqued on properly and the pressure throughout the system is uneven. If some of the pistons are letting oil pass into the chamber and other's aren't, and at least one is expelling an entire spark plug, it's definately messed up. You're certainly going to need to rethread the plug fixture because the force of expulsion could only have damaged it.
But, since you'll have the head off to rethread the fixture and replace the gasket (and since running the engine with impropper gasket fitment very well may have damaged/warped the aluminum head) you might as well just replace the whole thing.
Ask around this forum about what a Mini Me swap is. Now seems like a good time to learn!

Old 07-16-2006, 11:47 PM
HCF Member

Would putting a vtec head on it save me some money? Can it be done on a D15b1? If so what are some small upgrades that I could do while I do the head swap? Or should I just dump the piece of ****!