Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Problem with Random Shuffle Playing WMA files in 8th Generation Civic

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 08:50 PM
Default Problem with Random Shuffle Playing WMA files in 8th Generation Civic

Is anybody else having any problems with random shuffle mode playing CD's containing WMA files?

On one CD with 20 folders, the player randomly plays tracks from the first 9 folders. On another CD with 20 different folders, the player randomly plays tracks from the first 2 folders. However, under normal play, the player plays tracks from all folders fine.

I've tried ripping the music with WMP 10 and 11, burned CD-R, CD-RW, burned with Windows XP built-in CD burning software and with Nero using different modes and formats. Nothing works.

I've worked with the dealership and replaced the CD player with no success in fixing the problem. Now, I'm working with Honda Customer Service trying to correct this problem and it seems I'm the only one with this problem.

Can anybody else help me verify this problem? I don't want to be the only one up against Honda in trying to fix this problem. Even if you try to verify this problem and you don't experience the same problem, please tell me which Civic you have, whether it's 2006 or 2007, Coupe or Sedan, LX, EX, or SI. I understand that the Coupe's CD player and the Sedan's CD player are manufacturered by different companies even though they both look the same from the outside.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:55 PM
Default RE: Problem with Random Shuffle Playing WMA files in 8th Generation Civic

Here's an update in case you might be curious. Well, I've discovered something that may affect whether you play mp3's or wma's.

CD's with up to 255 files will shuffle normally, but more than 255 and you will have problems. The closer you are to the number 256, the more obvious the problem. Here's what I mean: if you have 256 or 257 files, random shuffle will pick only the first file in the first folder. If you have 258 files, it will random shuffle among the first 2 files. If you have 259 files, it will random shuffle among the first 3 files, and so on.

So far, Honda has been telling me that the CD player works and they don't consider it a defect. I said yes, it works under a few situations, but most of my CD's have more than 256 files. For me, it's not working most of the time.

Do you agree with me that this is a defect?

Old 12-01-2006, 06:57 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Problem with Random Shuffle Playing WMA files in 8th Generation Civic

hell no. that's not a defect. lol.

my iPod nano only holds 2 gigs of music, but I want it to hold 50 gigs.

i'm suing apple...

Old 12-01-2006, 08:05 PM

True, it is a software limitation but it can easily be fixed by changing a line of code in the software without any change to the hardware. As a software engineer, I see no reason to put such a small limit when the software can easily handle a much larger number without changing the hardware. In your case, going from 2 gigs to 50 gigs requires a hardware change. Also, to me, this software limitation is like having a small device in your car that prevents you from driving faster than 65 mph when you know it can definitely go much faster without the device.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:02 PM
HCF Member

There could be limitations and considerations you are not aware of. I would not be that flat about software I know nothing about except user interface.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:39 PM

It seems Honda or the manufacturer of the CD player has fixed the problem in the 2007 Civic Coupe EX, but Honda insists that nothing was fixed or changed in the CD player from the 2006 to 2007. Honda still won't recognize my situation as a problem even though I can see that the problem was fixed in the 2007 version. Therefore, I've reached a dead end with customer service.

I'm so very disappointed in Honda. Is there anybody else in Honda besides the ones in customer service that can help me?

Old 12-12-2006, 09:43 PM
HCF Member

ok dude.. i have an idea if you want to burn cds and shuffle them then don't put them in folders... problem fixed.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:53 AM

Thanks for trying, but your idea doesn't work. It doesn't matter if I have them in folders or not. The problem still exists. Honda won't do anything about this unless more people will help me complain about this issue to Honda. I was hoping to find more people with similar problems, but I guess nobody else has experienced the same problem even though this problem exists on all 2006 Civic Coupe EX, and probably LX and SI without Navi. Honda told me that the stereo in the coupes are made by Clarion. The ones in the sedans were made by Panasonic. Of course the problem is fixed in the 2007 Civic coupes. If only enough 2006 coupe owners can help me, Honda might do something for us.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:57 AM
HCF Member

How do you know it happens in ALL EX's? and how do you know they "fixed" the issue for the 2007's? have you forced people in 06 EX's off the road and tried their radio's? or did you just asume cause they changed the headunit and it does the same thing?. and did you test an 07 and it worked so you figure they fixed it?

It is kinda hard to say they fixed something if they wont say there is a problem in the first place

Also in my personal experience, it may be the files you are using. what program did you import them to WMA's as?

Old 12-13-2006, 11:21 AM

Thanks for your interest and for being skeptical. I've changed the head unit and it does the same thing, spoken with Honda Customer Service and Clarion, tried my CD's in a bunch of Civic's at the dealership with the permission of the dealership, before the 2007 coupes came out and after they came out. Doesn't take that many Civic's to figure out that all or none of the coupe EX's have the problem. It's also not the files I'm using because I've also tried using the files that Clarion uses to test their CD players. At first Clarion told me that I should be using Windows Media Player 11 to rip my CD's, but I figured out they must be lying or just not know what they're talking about because WMP11 didn't exist until late this fall and all along 2006 owners were using WMP10. I did use WMP10 before they told me to re-rip my CDs again with WMP11. Same results.

Yes, I agree. If they admit to fixing something, they're admitting that a problem did exist. So therefore, they won't admit that they fixed or changed anything.

Any other questions?