Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

B18C type R or H22A engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 01:46 AM
Default RE: B18C type R or H22A engine?

ORIGINAL: US3R!!!11one

It depends what you want to do.
1. Drag & street racing - H22a. (I call it my "Honda Big-Block" =D ) Cant beat the torque and heavy weight in the front helps the FWD launch a small bit. Despite what people may say, there is large aftermarket support, and the engine is cheap and cheap to mod. Due to the size it can be a pain in the *** to get in and work on, but to me its worth it. Be prepared to have your handling screwed though. It requires a near full rebuild to turbo, but in all honesty, if your going to turbo a car you would want to do this anyway. The engine can run a 100 shot if nitrous reliably with small fuel mods & a sparkplug change. Depending what model civic you have, you might not be able to consider supercharging, like with me, I would have to cut through the strut tower in my car.
2. Auto-x and if your considering taking your car over 600hp - B18. As already stated, this motor is nice. Lightweight, strong internals, plenty of aftermarket, but sorta expensive. A good choice for an auto-x'er that wants a little power, or someone who wants to turbo a motor right out of the box without much work. Also the better motor for reliablity due to the chamber design if you want to take the car over 600-700 hp.
Funny that you chose the H22 as the drag engine heavy engine heavy body its a lumbering cruiser.
Now for original topic. H22 you'd have to adapt your engine bay/ get new suspension to handle the extra weight on the front end cus of the engine. True the extra weight would smash your tires into the ground gaining traction but you'd have to have a perfect suspension set up to utilize this extra weight.