Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Beefing up a D-series

Old 04-11-2006, 12:47 AM
Default Beefing up a D-series

Okay so I am thinking about beefing up my SOHC Vtec D16Y8 engine

Some of you might ask why dont I just do a swap B16/B18 right? Well honestly I liek the D-series, jsut that I dont know much abotu them like Marty does lol.

I spent two hours looking up and down on the forums and it seems like a lot of people are saying a turbo boost D series is pretty quick, now is that all it needs besides the other minor upgrades?

Old 04-11-2006, 02:48 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Beefing up a D-series

What are your goals with the car, do you have a hp goal, a budget?

Old 04-11-2006, 02:49 AM
HCF Member

BTW thanks, I dont know near enough but it's good to be informed and experienced on certain subjects.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:14 AM
Recognized HCF Member

throw some pistons and rods in that motor and run like 15lbs of boost with the propure tune and fuel and your car will be screaming down the streets faster than you could of admagined

Old 04-12-2006, 12:38 AM

At first I was saving money up for a B16A or even a B18B, but as tiem went on I somehow just turned to love the D series more and more lol, my budget as of right now is unknown lol, but my goals are to be able to have drivable car, you know drive normally and dont need to worry about things, btu at the same time smoking DOHCS on the streets lol

And I at least want a 200HP goal or more.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:40 AM
HCF Member

If you can give me a estimate of a budget I can get you what you want.

Old 04-12-2006, 05:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Marty

If you can give me a estimate of a budget I can get you what you want.
Now seriously thats nice you dont get many people that friendly :| in forums these days u can get some right idiots that are half way up their own **** and expect everyone to know as much as them i am glad this forum isnt like that!

Old 04-12-2006, 09:40 AM
HCF Member

We try to keep it that way... if not, its to the plank where yee will fall in and be eaten by CF Ban Stick Alligators!!!

Old 04-12-2006, 03:53 PM

I am going to be putting a turbo on my y8. I am using the edelbrock kit, and while I am at it I decided to get valve springs, retainers, a fresh rebuild, and fuel pump and rail. That alone will give me near 200 whp, the edelbrock kit on a stock y8 gives you 172 whp and 141 ft./lbs. at the wheels. That is pretty impressive, and it is the most complete kit on the market. It runs around 3300, but I think it is worth it, hell, it even comes with a new I/M. Greddy makes a good kit, but then you have to go get an intercooler, and the price comes out about the same. Keep looking up stuff, I mean I don't know everything about cars, just enough to fix them up. Let me know how you go about your setup, and if you can, send pics when you get it done. BTW, Marty, I am looking for around 200 whp, what do you think I should get?

Old 04-12-2006, 04:00 PM
HCF Member

well i know martys gunna suggest this but i beat him to it

dont get a kit. peice one together yourself. you can get much more power for a lot less money...espcially if you're budgeting for an eldebrock kit. search ebay for parts. theres a shopping list in the DIY Drivetrain section.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Beefing up a D-series