Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

building block for boost?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 04:22 PM
Default building block for boost?

i have a 99 civic and i was wondering how much would it cost to get a d16y8 block built for boost? are there companies that sell the blocks pre built or will i have to buy the parts and get a sport shop to do it to my current engine? also can i use the stock head or do i also have to get my head built for it? thanks for any info.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:50 PM
formerly aryiman98civic
Default RE: building block for boost?

you dont have to build your motor when you use a turbo. a stock motor can handle about 7-8 psi if you know what you are doing. if you dont know anything on engines you will probably have a shop have to build your motor. you will have to get forged pistons and other rods. you can use your stock head as well. read up more on turbos before you do anything more.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:01 PM

ya but my car does have a 120k on it, and isnt that a lot of miles to be putting a turbo on my car? plus i was on this other forum and i was looking at blown bottom ends of D16's that had turbo so i thought that it would be better to build the motor.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:14 PM
HCF Member

what are your horsepower goals? with a good tune and quality turbo setup you can run 6-7 psi on your stock block. if you want big numbers than you should at least get new connecting rods and pistons.
SovXietday (a member on this forum) is the man when it comes to d series and turbocharging so hopefully he will have some more info for you.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:36 PM
formerly aryiman98civic

you need to run a compression test on your car to see if your internals are good or not, then you can go from there.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:43 PM
HCF Member

Dart makes excellent blocks for boost. they have a closed design that strenthens up the block's sidewalls versus the OEM block's open design, which aids in superior cooling but is also weaker.

if you're unsure what to do, then research a lot more, because too much boost and/or ignition timing will blow a hole in your block pretty quick.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:52 PM

thanks guys, im probably goin to build the block a bit cause i want to run 10-12 psi and that would require the block to be redone. ill check out dart for blocks.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:58 PM
HCF Member

I have a question that is simular to this. I am wondering if you can put D16z6 Rods and Pistons in a D15B7 Block. Since the Bore and Stroke are the same, I figured you can. Anyone know?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-16-2007, 01:01 AM

Just to reiterate in case someone already hasn't, the term psi doesn't mean squat. Different turbos flow different air amounts at different pounds of pressure. The bigger the turbo, the more air per psi, and the smaller the turbo, the less air per psi. 8psi out of a T4 may flow more air than 30 psi out of a dinky T25 (just for example).

A better way of looking at what a motor can handle is power, because different turbos are going to require different pressures flow the same air and thereforemake the same power, but reliability will always hinge on how much power is being made.

Also, to the OP, don't throw money at a project and expect it to last on you. You have to know what you're doing, or know someone that really knows what they're doing in order to get a motor to last, no matter what materials you make it out of.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:31 AM

then how do you know what can your motor handle? and how do you know that the people at the shop know what there doin

Quick Reply: building block for boost?