Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

building block for boost?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Default RE: building block for boost?

I'll give you a hint, i'm building up a d16y8 to handle a ton of power (relative to what they have stock)... i've taken stock block and sent it to be sleeved, and plan on building up the top and bottom end of the motor...

so far, I've got about $2300 invested in just the motor & sleeving...

total, i'm looking at somewhere near $8k for the motor... then probably another $2k-3k for turbo....

there's a huge list of things you'll need depending on how much power you'd like to put down (i'm looking for 350-400whp daily driven on street gas, and 450-475+ on race gas (for the rare occassion i'd want to drag race my car)

i'm going more for the WTF factor when leaving cars in the dust...

Old 04-16-2007, 09:36 AM
Recognized HCF Member

www.laskeyracing.com can build you a complete bottom end ready for boost.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:06 AM
HCF Member

I was just talking about this kinda thing to forty. I would at least build the bottom end for longetivity. I would have rods in it at a low enough compression to create a non interference motor. That way you can run way more boost (easy 15lbs daily) and not be worried about it. Because if your timing belt were to snap, nothing would happen. You would simply stop moving.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:21 PM

im goin to build my engine up, im looking at the turbo edlebrock makes, they claim 230 whp. thanks for the info

Old 04-16-2007, 01:31 PM

ORIGINAL: drbyers

Dart makes excellent blocks for boost. they have a closed design that strenthens up the block's sidewalls versus the OEM block's open design, which aids in superior cooling but is also weaker.

if you're unsure what to do, then research a lot more, because too much boost and/or ignition timing will blow a hole in your block pretty quick.

yea if you want to spend 2K on the block alone then you have to spend thousand or more to get parts and labor to have the motor built. so go with a stock short block and pistons,rods, ARP studs and bolts for a little edited security.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:06 PM

ORIGINAL: 1.6quickcivicex

then how do you know what can your motor handle? and how do you know that the people at the shop know what there doin
I said it several times. Power output is pretty much directly proportional to wear. So for a given motor, say a D16, you could say the stock block is capable of handling 200-250whp for a reasonable amount of time, or 250-300whp for a B16/B18. Obvisously, there are a lot of other factors that effect reliability, most drastically being design of the motor (if it's a lemon to begin with you won't get anywhere), condition of the motor, and fuel and ignition management after the fact. But boost pressure is notan accuratemeasure, not even ina general sense, for the reasons stated above.

As for knowing which shops know what they're doing. You can't really know if what anyone tells you is the right thing to do, unlessyouknowyourself, can you? One good thing to look foris do they have any experience with Hondas specifically? What do they reccommend you do to your motor? Take their reccommendations home with you and preform a google search, or search around a forum or two, or ask questions on a forum. Taking advice fromonly one source can get you intoa lottrouble no matter the investment or industry. Second, objective opinions can be very useful.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:58 PM

thanks, i understand. im goin to build up my motor and throw a turbo on it so i can get some time out of my motor. thanks for the help.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:11 PM
HCF Member

You never throw on a turbo. Doing a Turbo project takes time, money sweat and probly some tears.