Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Building a D16

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Default Building a D16

Ok i dont want to be led to a B series or any other engine series, I want to build the D16z6. I am mainly just trying to find out what would be the best parts for the internals to start with. what you guys recomend for the best power for my buck.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:53 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Building a D16

All motor or FI?

Old 07-10-2008, 07:06 AM

i want it to be all motor but later on when i get the rest of the money i want to be able to turbo it.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:32 AM

well if you want a turbo, then build it for a turbo, use low compression pistons and forged rods. that way you don't have to do it twice.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:40 PM
HCF Member

Im in the same position that he's in, is there already any post on this topic, dont want to keep repeating same topic over n over

but i also want to build a d16z6 and i want to go turbo later on,
any companys u recommend for pistons , cams, injectors, spark (mdf) etc...

I would be more then happy with about 200-300 whp, any advice on that?

Old 06-14-2009, 06:45 PM
HCF Member

madjoker, just boost your D16. The D16 is a ****ty motor to go all motor with and will end up costing you way way way more than if you were to boost it. Turbing the d is the best way to go, hands down no arguement!!!

Old 06-14-2009, 08:27 PM
HCF Member

to turbo it do i gota upgrade all the internals ? like pistons n all those good stuff, that would be sick if i destroyed a b20 and when they ask me what i got i tell em, just a single cam turbo lol

but im deff keeping the d and building it up, but for a nice setup of 200-300 whp i wouldnt need to upgrade the insides of the engine b4 i hit it with the turbo?

Old 06-14-2009, 08:41 PM

If you are planning on running more than like 7-9lbs., then I would suggest on getting at least upgraded rods, pistons, new bearings and rings. I'm am not sure which company is "best" for turbo parts, but I would suggest:
Pistons - low compression 75.5mm Vitaras (I am/will be going this route since it's a little cheaper)
Rods - Eagle rods
Injectors - RC's, Precision
Camshaft - I am a fan of Crower, but if you get a stg 2 or higher shaft, then look into buying upgraded valve springs and retainers at the least.

Also, if anyone asks me what I have in my car, I just say "just a single". No need for unwanted attention by saying exactly what is attached to the D16. However, I think they'll pretty much know you're turbo when you shift. That's unless you have an internally wastegated turbo, and a recirculating BOV, then the driver in the other car most likely won't hear it since any noise from your turbo would be drowned out by his/her motor.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:59 PM
HCF Member

you dont need to built up anything really if your just going for 200hp. It helps but you dont have to do it.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:37 AM
HCF Member

cvcrcr99, with all the internal upgrades, how much would a setup like this be pushing with just the motor and no FI ?

im hoping it would push close or more then 200, because like i sayd, i want something that would move, but i aint trying to push 12 or 11 seconds anywhere lol

i know that with tuning i would get more but i heard that tuning is very expensive n id rather wait till i get the turbo to get it tuned

and for the wastegated turbo, i know for the Subaru sti they come or came with internally wastegated turbo and recirculating BOV to keep the air in there so that the engine didnt have to start all over again to gain the air pressure but at a cost, get this, the cost is the noise lol but they sayd they had a bigger increase in hp n thats why they did it, any suggestions if that could be true?

Quick Reply: Building a D16