Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

cam question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 04:03 PM
Default cam question!!!

im new to this so if this question is a repost im sorry...but my question is...
what kinda power gains would i get if i put a new cam in my d16y5....and can i just put the cam in or do i have to change other things to get it running right?
Help Please!!!

Old 10-12-2005, 04:53 PM
Default RE: cam question!!!

on a VTEC Jr. the gains won't be as good. Depending on other mods, somewhere in the ballpark around 8-12 at the wheels. But thats saying a lot!!! Tell me, What cam, what mods already done, how many miles. That would help.

Old 10-12-2005, 05:32 PM
HCF Member

on a VTEC Jr. the gains won't be as good.
explain why?

Old 10-12-2005, 05:39 PM

ya i was wondering if cams would be a good buy also. i have a 95 civic ex with vtec, about how much power would i be looking at if i get them? im looking at AEM cams, i have about 165k miles on it but good condition and i have headers and Exhaust.

thanks

Old 10-12-2005, 06:13 PM

The D16Y5 is the VTEC-E engine. According to my haynes manual, that engine makes 106 hp. where the Z6 of Y8's make a solid 127hp. I have also seen this in other places. It's kind of like the ULEV (Ultra low emissions vehicle), They have VTEC, but not for top end power.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:37 PM

As far as having to replace things besides the cams, companies make all kinds of engine parts, and to get the most out of em, you need to run all of the parts together. You dont have to, but theyre tested that way. Not required, but recommended.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:30 PM

ok well first off im not sure why your haynes manual says my engine only puts out 106...thats the dx mine puts out 115hp and i have already put a cold air intake and a custom exhaust on it i will put a header on it in a few weeks and i have 76,000 miles on it....thats my mods to the engine i hope that helps thanks alot
and this is the cam:
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...rchType=Engine
or this one:
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...rchType=Engine

Old 10-13-2005, 02:08 PM

you will love the sound of the cam. just don't go too big. be sure that what you get is right for your application. all those cryptic terms, duration, size etc... also be sure that you also look into a good set of valve springs and retainers not a must but nice to have especially if you want to go more indepth with domed high comp pistons, boost, or nos juice. anything to prevent detonation mi amigo.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:26 PM

I'd say nothing over a stage 2. and that might even be pushing it a lil, unless you plan on doing some bottom end upgrades.

Old 10-13-2005, 03:43 PM

thanks alot yall have helped me out GREATLY!!! this is my plan for my car...i want power but dont want to spend alot, i dont want to do too much to my engine...like dont want to change pistons and all....nos is just not worth it cause i'll probally end up blowing my engine and turbo it kinda expensive....and i dont want to push my engine too much cause i dont want to have to replace the internals ya know but i do want to run my car like hoping 14's in a quater mile thats enough for me right now....if yall have any suggestions please run them buy me and thanks again!!!

Quick Reply: cam question!!!