Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

CIVIC 99LX -strange noise from engine compartment on high speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Default CIVIC 99LX -strange noise from engine compartment on high speed

I bought Civic99Lx auto transmision and it has 106K on it.. When I drive in freeway I hear some strange noise above 65 miles/h. when I bring my speed to below 65 the sound disappers. Sometimes when drive even above 80 miles/h I dont get the sound. so the sound is purely intermittent (most of the times I get the sound).
It sounds like booooo.... It does NOT vary in pitch/frequency with a change in engine speed(above 65). It doesn't sound as shrill as a slipping belt, if I had to guess it sounds more like a vacuum problem...

I took to mechanic to check this, he checked the car and said everything perfect with engine may be some hole in exhauster or pipes. I took to a muffler store and they verifed and said alll the syetems are fine, they pointed the CV joint is torn in my left side and throwing the greese on run. i read in some forums that If the greese is less in the cvjoint it may make noise. so I replaced whole axel and they said now the problem should be resolved. When i took to freeway again, i get the noise, I went mad.. I took it again to the mehanic to take the car to freeway and he noticed the sound and he said he is hearing this sound first time in his life (strange!!!!).. Finally they said it might be the issue with the transmission.. I am going mad.. can anyone help me..
Thank you..

Old 11-25-2008, 10:39 AM

no replies??? noone has clue???

Old 11-25-2008, 04:01 PM
HCF Member

it's a ghost j/k
mine only does that in first but my car is a 5 speed. sorry i cant help you out, wish you luck.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:20 PM
HCF Member

Can you get a sound clip? Also you may just have a set of tires with alot of roadnoise

Old 11-25-2008, 05:44 PM
HCF Member

Maybe it is your tranny getting ready to take a dump.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:44 PM

well.. today I took my car to Honda dealer.. and they say it may be the problem with front windshield... each mechanic finds different problems..
Firestore - Problem with Exhaust
Mufler store - NO problem with Exhaust.. problem with Axel
Pepboys - Problem with Transmission (After replacing Axel...)
Honda service - no problem with engine/ tire..Problem with windshield....
Whoom to trust now.. Honda stated just "Recommend resealing front windshield molding 1st and recheck" in the report..
I dont find any issues with windshield to make such big noise.. anyway I will try to reseal the windshield if it still not resolved.. then it should be a problem from mars...