Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

coolant explosion

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:19 PM
HCF Member
Default coolant explosion

title says most of it. i blew a hose off my motor and soaked the whole engine bay with coolant. luckily i was about 3 blocks from my house and i was able to limp home before it overheated... what if anything do i need to worry about before i start up the car... will i need for the coolant to dry up before i start to protect from a short in the electrical system? etc... i know the obvious to bleed the coolant system... the hose that blew off was the one right under the distributor, so it SOAKED everything... is this common in a z6... i hope not. anything to keep it from doing it again?

thanks in advance.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:21 PM
HCF Member

dang bro that blows my z6 hasnot ever done anything like that looks like u just had bad luck

Old 02-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Disconnect the battery. Next, check the distributor, plug wires, fuse box, and all electrical connectors under the hood. Use some compressed air to dry off eveything electrical that may be wet before trying to restart the engine.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:37 PM
HCF Member

No, that is not a common problem, that is a result of an error from installation. Do as RonJ suggested. When topping off the coolant, keep pouring and squeezing the upper and lower hoses until all the air is out of the system, then recheck it after a quick start up.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:52 AM
HCF Member

alright well, i was able to start assessing the damage today and well, it looks like i gotta go buy a new air filter... or wait for a week for it to dry. there is coolant in the short ram tubing so im guessing it made it into the engine as well.. distributor is good and so are most of the connections... other than the wires still being soaked... now any precautions for having coolant in my engine? hydrolock? or should i be fine?

Old 02-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Recognized HCF Member

with the small ammount of coolant i wouldnt worry about any hydroloc... BUT IF IN DOUBT if you havent already already turned the motor over afew times... if you have dont worry about it. but if you havent then simply pull all 4 spark plugs and unplug the distributor harness plug.
then simply hit the starter for a few seconds and that will push any fluid still in the cylinders. then just put everything back.
but i highly doubt it to be a problem.

so just buy a new filter and such and keep driven

Old 02-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by vtecaddict
alright well, i was able to start assessing the damage today and well, it looks like i gotta go buy a new air filter... or wait for a week for it to dry. there is coolant in the short ram tubing so im guessing it made it into the engine as well.. distributor is good and so are most of the connections... other than the wires still being soaked... now any precautions for having coolant in my engine? hydrolock? or should i be fine?
Toss the wet air filter and install a new one after you clean off free coolant in the intake. Pull a plug and look into the cylinder chamber with a flashlight to check for possible coolant inside.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:11 AM
HCF Member

alright, ill check at some point in time today, whenever it stops raining enough to push my car in the garage... if there is coolant then pull the rest of the plugs and distributor plug and turn the key a couple times? or is it more in depth?

Old 02-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by vtecaddict
alright, ill check at some point in time today, whenever it stops raining enough to push my car in the garage... if there is coolant then pull the rest of the plugs and distributor plug and turn the key a couple times? or is it more in depth?
That should do it.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i doubt theres any coolant in the system at least not enough to be any problem. if you where driving when the line blew and continued to drive with it spraying coolant until it was dry... your worst chance to have hydrolocked it would have been when it first blew and you kept driving it.... anything left is only a thin coating left over.
i doubt its anything to worry about since you kept driving it.

Quick Reply: coolant explosion