Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

coolant explosion

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:21 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, thats what my buddy said today too when i went to the shop to borrow some tools since all mine are up in Saint Louis and i teach/ live in Columbia... hey do you think it would be okay to just wash the filter.. i forgot its a K&N or did the antifreeze completely ruin it? if its totaled ill just pick up a cone one tomorrow.

im still wondering why it caused the hose to blow off too... i've had that motor in for about 6 months now and the only thing i've done recently (this past week) is to clean the FITV to fix my idling issues... could an air pocket have done that??.. maybe i need to pressure test my radiator cap... any other ideas?

Old 02-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Recognized HCF Member

it might have just not been tight enough on the clamp.....
and over time it just finaly worked its way off...

Old 02-10-2009, 07:17 AM
HCF Member

well.. i think i found the problem! i went to add the coolant so i could get her running again and well i saw this!

Name:  rad.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  25.1 KB

TASTY!

Name:  radcap.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  26.1 KB

sweet huh? i was lazy any didnt want to fix my return water neck about a week ago because it was leaking coolant when i drove on the highway. i figured the minor leak could be fixed by the Bar's block seal stop leak (the expensive one that you can use with coolant), and on the back it states it can fix any leak.. well i guess the pressure regulator on my radiator cap was considered a leak too. and that is why the hose blew off... long story short.. DONT BE LAZY and dont use the stop leak.... now time to contact Bar's

Old 02-10-2009, 07:21 AM
HCF Member

Bars Leaks is a good emergency fix if you're in the middle of nowhere; I've had to use it once on a company truck, when I was back to civilization I got a flush and got the leak addressed.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:34 AM
HCF Member

yeah, i figured that one out.. im gonna fix the neck today or tomorrow since i dont have any coolant in it, then fill it up and take it to get flushed.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Recognized HCF Member

take it to get flushed.... hell just take off a few more hoses and bust out the garden hose to flush the system yourself thats very easy to do just takes time...

and ya i never use that stop leak stuff for anything anymore. its better off to just put afew jugs of water in the back or mixture if in the winter and keep filling it up until you get it repaired properly. that stuff just clogs up your heater core and your heat output will suck!

Old 02-10-2009, 12:38 PM
HCF Member

which hoses do i need to take off exactly? the upper and lower radiator hoses? ive never flushed a system before... the shop has always done it for my truck. and here's another stupid question. they still sell liquid gasket at autozone? i looked and couldnt find it, or will something else work so i can fix the water outlet neck?

Old 02-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

does the neck have a hole in it? if so id replace it.... or if you can pull it off to get to the back side of the hole get some 2part stick epoxy... they have some that works great with high temps and its like a putty. simply mix the stick with your hands till its mixed all the way and simply apply the stuff to the front and the back of the holes pressing it in the best you can and around the area a bit.... then just let it dry for afew hours and bolt it back on.
but its still just a temp repair....

ive used it afew times on friends cars and even at work on our steam tables that had holes and leaking thru. it works pretty good but buying a good piece is the best thing to do...

as to flushing the system very easy... take off the thermostat case and then take off the other heater hose and simply shove the hose on the one heater hose and let it flow thru and then simply take both main hoses off the radiator and put the hose on the top and let it flow to get the most out of it simply pull the top radiator mount and unplug the fan motor wires and simply pull the radiator out and flow the water thru both hoses upside down and laying flat... blablabla and simply shove the hose onto the motor as well... with the thermostat removed it will flow right thru.... and after most of it is clear then you can always put all the hoses back on will it up with just water, start the motor up and put the heat on full blast let it cycle thru a bit then turn the motor off and let it cool.... then simply remove the drain plug on the radiator and let it all drain then just refill with coolant and youll be good and have the best flush to remove all that stop leak gunk...
most likely your shop will jsut do a quick flush which will still leave alot of that junk inside the system.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:47 PM
HCF Member

there isnt a hole in the neck.. there's a hole in the "liquid gasket" between the block and the water outlet. so it leaks down the front of the engine... think i should replace the thermostat while im at it? im thinkin it might be just as bad now because if the radiator cap looked like that, then i wonder what the thermostat, IACV and FITV will look like... and i just cleaned my IACV and FITV. or should the flush get it hopefully? looks like i have alot to do on my hands the next couple of nights... i think im gonna call Bar's tomorrow and inform them that their product is crap.

BY THE WAY: thank you to everyone that has helped me so far. i really appreciate it.