Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

D series power, information needed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 10:57 PM
Default D series power, information needed!

Well guys, my plans were to buy a K20 motor, re-build it, then turbo charge it. well I was sitting down and looking at my numbers, and I rather not wait that long. I have a D17A1 motor, auto tranny. I was wondering, How much it would cost to re-build the entire motor, and anything else to run around 15 psi safely?

So what it breaks down to in simple terms is, How much will I spend to beef up my D17A1 engine to run 15 psi safely? Do I need to up-grade anything else at that point? How much horsepower will the motor alone be putting out?

Old 01-30-2006, 08:15 AM
Default RE: D series power, information needed!

i got no clue on how much it will cost because im planing on doing the same next winter but if you plan to boost
alot more than just 8lbs w/o and ls motor plan on doing some sleves & pistons because your cylinder walls
will abosoulty take a **** on you and u will be running on two cyleinders. trust me my buddy did it in in tegg in the middle
of a race lol so plan on doing that.

Old 01-30-2006, 07:04 PM
HCF Member

on just 15psi you only need to upgrade the rods...maybe the pistons.

Old 01-30-2006, 09:50 PM
HCF Member

sleeve the block before you would turn it into swiss cheese. dont forget the fm everyone you would need to effectively run 15lbs of boost without upgrading the fuel managment you would be running leaner than an olsen sister

ORIGINAL: Nail I3unny

on just 15psi
That is a good amount of boost figuring most factory turbocharged vehicles minus evos and sti run less than 10 psi My mazdaspeed protege = 6.5 psi granted they are limited for warranty purposes

Old 01-31-2006, 11:05 AM

It'll cost you $730 for crower rods, I found a site that claims they sell Wiseco pistons for the D17 motor, haven't looked into that yet but plan to, they run about $450, don't come with rings so add about another 70-100 for rings (guesstimation, bc they will have to be custom ordered from Wiseco), don't need to sleeve, and add about 3k for turbo kit, unless you build your own. OH and don't forget about valvetrain, ~$600 for full valvetrain upgrade; KMS is the only company I know that makes a valvetrain upgrade for our motor, plus $380 for Crower camshaft. That should do you good for 15 psi.

Old 02-01-2006, 03:51 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: sbowers

sleeve the block before you would turn it into swiss cheese. dont forget the fm everyone you would need to effectively run 15lbs of boost without upgrading the fuel managment you would be running leaner than an olsen sister

ORIGINAL: Nail I3unny

on just 15psi
That is a good amount of boost figuring most factory turbocharged vehicles minus evos and sti run less than 10 psi My mazdaspeed protege = 6.5 psi granted they are limited for warranty purposes
d series sleeves can take 15psi with no problems. thats what im saying. not that 15psi isnt a lot (which,considering most track cars are running well over 25, into the mid thirties, even forties, its really isnt) i mean that it isnt a lot for stock D sleeves.

Old 02-01-2006, 05:04 PM
HCF Member

Rods are the weak point. You are gonna want to run a lower compression piston too. Valvetrain upgreade and you should be good to go. You don't need a new sleeves, or cam for that matter.

Old 02-01-2006, 07:30 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, rods and low compression pistons are the way to go then boost boost boost!

Old 02-01-2006, 08:24 PM
HCF Member

meh...in a D17 flat top pistons shouldnt be a problem at 15psi. hell, if your not running 15psi all day you could prolly stick with stock pistons.

Old 02-01-2006, 08:36 PM

^ wouldn't flat top raise compression?

Quick Reply: D series power, information needed!