Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

d16y8

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Default d16y8

I Just would like to hear peoples opinion on building a d16y8 engine. I would like to know if it would be more affordable to build than building a ls/vtec or is it jus a waste of money and time.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:25 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

build the y8 for sure, with the money you put into an ls/v build, you could have more HP with the y8.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:02 PM

How much money do you have? How much hp/tq would you like to see out of your car when it is all said and done?

Old 06-29-2010, 07:43 PM

1st post for me haha had to let it be known and sorry its gonna be long lol. Anywho I agree with mr. cvc it really depends on your money/desire ratio. If you got the extra bucks or if you could wait and save a little, I'd say go with the dually cams, youll never get as much bang for the buck with a D-series, but assuming that you already have the d16 and are looking into a b-series, it is gonna cost a pretty penny to buy a whole new engine and then sink even more money into it. With the money spent on a b-series you could build your block, with low comp dome pistons, slap a turbo on er, get you a light weight flywheel and 6 puck clutch and be done with er haha. If thats what you got (d16y8) I'd say keep it and play with it.

P.S word to the wise a plan in haste goes to waste lol

Old 06-29-2010, 10:23 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

Very good post, expecially for a first post! thats exactly what im meaning, you will sink so much into a b when you could have more with the D.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:41 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by chrismag
uhh go with an ls vtec

my personal opinion....

i mean what at most if you build your y8 you could get 200 hp

with a turbo..
Extremely wrong.

you can easily get 200hp out of a stock civic with a turbo. If its build you could plan on hitting the 300s or even 400s easily depending on how much is done to the engine.

You could always just swap an h22 lots of stock hp. But I highly suggest you dont build the D, its costly to get 200hp. I would much rather spend that on a turbo or engine swap.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:47 PM
HCF Member

Go with the d. The only downside is if you build the d you already have you'll be out of a car for a while, but if you do the lsv you can piece the entire thing together outside of the car, and drop the engine in in a weekend if all goes right. Lsv takes a lot of work though, there's a lot of coverting you have to do as well and it is expensive. I love lsv, I'm a huge fan, but I've also got a soft spot for turbo d. Don't go all motor d though, that'd be a total joke and waste of money. D's are good for boost and that's it, so low comp bottom, turbo, and possible get some turbo cams and build the head. A stock d is good to like 200 hp, built bottom, easily 300+. http://www.wishoc.com/index.php?topic=5439.0 Here's a local guy around me, turboed a STOCK z6 and got 350+ hp, and with a slipping clutch. Only thing on the bottom end is forged rods, ARP studs, and on the head is a reground cam. D's can take a beating, and parts are so cheap it isn't that big of a deal if you blow it.

Last edited by Scott53092; 06-30-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:08 PM

well im not really much of a turbo guy im more into all motor and i have a b18b motor on the side and if i do work on my d16 motor i wont have a car to go to work. i've done some research on building a lsv and found out that it takes alot of work and money. Thats money i dont really have but i do love the lsv and would like to build it. and fyi im a beginner at this so its going to be my first time working on these engines. So with that being said should i start with my d16 for beginners? im jus looking for around 250-300 hp with out turbo.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:09 PM
HCF Member

You need turbo for those numbers

Quick Reply: d16y8