Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

D17A2 help

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Default D17A2 help

ok ok ok...this is going to look bad, I know I'm a noob on this forum as well as SUperHonda, but I need some help. Ive searched and searched, and couldnt find much help, and I know this subject has been beaten to death. I have motor experience, unfortunately it all comes from my professional ATV racing background, Im new to the cars...(same principle x4, not too hard) ..
Soo with that being said, anything I can do about some power for my little D17A2 in my 01 EX (5 speed)? Ive got an AEM intake, and i was looking to do custom cat back with an APEX'i or Magnaflow exhaust... after that, I was shootin for headers, but its tough seeing as im a Cali resident. SOo...any suggestions for bottom end? I pleasantly found out that my motor is gear-restricted at 133 MPH, so Im not too disappointed with that...its just getting there that makes me cringe...

Old 08-20-2008, 08:12 AM
Administrator

in order to get some real power out of a D17...if you dont want to swap...is to fix the stupid returnless fuel system and boost. some nice headwork and internals would be a big plus also. you are on the right track for a real fun car tho, throw a better suspension on there too.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:15 PM

wow, can you correct that returnless crap going on there? I really appreciate the info, I havent heard of anybody really doing this! Yeah, I had plans for some stiffer springs that will level out the car a bit, and some nice struts as well, any siggestions? I dont want the car slammed, just a nice stance that still gives some clearance so i dont have to sweat my *** off going over speed bumps and through dips..haha. And as far as the engine goes, Ive seen that the rods can only take about 200 hp before they give up, any aftermarket rods that will fix the problem? Ive got my cold air, so next i want to do a cat back then a set of headers after that...

Old 08-21-2008, 01:25 PM
HCF Member

I have a 01 as well. I put on Tokico hp (blues) with my stock spring.
Easy install and the car's handleing feels a bit better.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:21 PM
HCF Member

Tien-S Techs with Tokico Blues should do you well, as far as suspension..

I/H/E would do well. 55 wet shot of Nitrous, if your into that.. Or peice together a turbo, or check out www.dezod.com, best site for our 7th gens.

Tien-S Techs offer a 1.5" drop if i'm not mistaken. Also.. Header* not Headers.. Go with a nice Megan Racing 4-1 Header on Dezod, cheap and really good for the price.

I know people over on 7thgencivic who have boosted on 7psi or so, and run about 200hp without upgrading internals. but anything after that, you'll need to do some work.. I also know a guy whos running 31 psi of boost, and has 487whp. So, if modded right, you can definitely get potentional out of our 7th gens.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:58 PM

awesome man, I really appreciate the help... as far as nitrous goes, not something im totally into at the moment but who knows...I spent a couple days counting numbers seeing if I could afford a K20A3...haha, but i think im just going to wait for time to pass for that stuff, do I/H/E and some other goodies to see how it runs... yeah, as far as a "header", my bad...didnt stop to realize we're running inline 4's here ..once again, thanks for the help man, it's good to know there are others out there supporting our 7th gens!

Old 08-23-2008, 09:13 AM
HCF Member

Can you put s techs on hps? Some where I heard that the hps could only hold a drop as low as an inch and no more
Could have just been false info floating around here