Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

DeCarbing the intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 10:36 PM
Default DeCarbing the intake manifold

Hey,
My mechanic told me i need to decarb the intake manifold on my 94 ex have any of you ever done this??? also...have any of you ever removed your fuel injectors to give them a thorough cleaning??
thanks

Old 12-21-2004, 11:32 AM
Default RE: DeCarbing the intake manifold

WTF is decarbing? If by carb he means carburetor, then he's just BSing (sp?) you cuz they havent put carburetors in cars since like 1990.

Old 12-21-2004, 04:18 PM

He means de-Carbon it. And unless you drive your car through hell every week, there is no need to do that. You might have a look inside to make sure there's no build-up inside it. But as long as you have an air filter, there shouldn't be. Also, on a '94, there's no need to clean your injectors unless you're tuning your engine. You can just throw a can of SeaFoam in the tank and that will clean them almost as well.

Old 12-21-2004, 09:35 PM
HCF Member

i like MMO, it is the only fuel additive ill buy. otherwise i make my own. but to clean the IM, get a can of throttle body and IM cleaner, the follow the directions on it. try to get the one that says to do it while its running, it seems like it works better than the other stuff.

Old 12-21-2004, 09:42 PM
HCF Member

oh yeah, and ive heard water works really well. take a spray bottle and spray a VERY fine mist into the intake while its running. i guess you can see the carbon-water pouring out of the tailpipe. might not be good for your cat though.

Old 01-17-2005, 03:29 PM

No offense, but this sounds like a bad idea to me. You have heard that water is incompressible right? When the pistons come up on the compression stroke, the pressure in the cylinder will rise to incredibly high levels, possibly causing catastrophic damage.

While in the Navy, the exhaust valve for the diesel generator failed, allowing water into the cylinders. Now this is a big diesel with upper and lower cranks and opposing pistons. The water broke both cranks, several pistons were destroyed, and the block was beyond repair.

I am not looking to flame anyone, but intentionally putting water into the intake seems like bad advice to me.

Just my $.03 (adjusted for inflation).

Old 01-17-2005, 04:43 PM

That's why he said a VERY fine mist. I agree that water is not compressable, but the water is not going to be compressed. When the piston reaches TDC, there is still space between the top of the piston and the top of the cylinder. So, as long as it is a VERY fine mist, it won't cause any damage. When there is actually enough water in the cylinder to cause the piston to try to compress water, it causes hydrolock which in turn, destroys your engine. This can happen if you have a CAI and you get caught in flooding and the filter becomes completely submerged in water.

Old 01-17-2005, 08:51 PM
HCF Member

yeah, tell POLO its a bad idea to spray water into the engine. i think he'll disagree with you..... and i did mean a VERY VERY fine mist. hydrolock occurs when you get too much water in the cylinder and it doesnt have anywhere to go. if done properly, there wont be anywhere near enough to hurt the motor. i mean, in normal driving in the rain, you will ingest a little bit of water, esp with an intake.