Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

diy hp gainers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 01:19 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: diy hp gainers?

ORIGINAL: Forty04

Its a Civic, they don't even respond that well to basic stuff like IHE, so don't expect much difference with the stuff mentoined above. THe only one that'll really do you good is weight reduction, but once you get too far into that, you start sacrificing comfort.
exactly, i was just trying to mention a few for next to nothing. but it's a good idea to wrap the header in my opinion.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:21 PM
HCF Member

yep, weight is the biggest killer for any performance number you want to chance. Its all about physics....the more mass there is the more work your car has to do to either accelerate it, change its direction (handling) or stop it (braking). Less weight means less work for the car to do and better performance numbers across the board. Why do you think all the high-end performance cars are using carbon fiber everything along with ultra light metals (aluminum and titanium)?

You're on the right track with the heat issue. Some civics have a coolant line that runs through the throttle body. Bypass that. Wrap your fuel lines and coolant lines. Run a cold-air intake instead of a short-ram intake if you can. If you have the tools and mechanical knowlege, intake/header/exhaust are good things too cuz they reduce the work the engine has to do.

Basically three things to consider when all is said and done
1) how much can you spend?
2) how will you be using the car? (daily driver? drag racing? auto-x/course racing?)
3) how much comfort do you need? (air conditioning is nice but its heavy. Same with sound insulation, carpeted floors, and the rest of the nice looking interior...)

Old 06-10-2007, 05:10 PM

ORIGINAL: ej6buddy

ORIGINAL: jc6711

nitrous, I/H/E
he's asking for diy's, i'm pretty sure he's not going to have an extra bottle of nitrous or header just laying around. lol

as for the question:

advance timimg
clean filter
replace all fluids (if you have extra laying around) i.e. brake fluid, tranny fluid, etc.
heat wrap intake/exhaust components
clean engine (doesn't really help unless it's covered in grease and debris)
adjust tire pressure for whatever you use the car for (ex. auto-x, drag, etc.)
diy toe adjustment (there's another thread on how to check)
adjust camber if possible (more tread)
remove unneeded items in car (trash, anything that weighs a lot and usually doesn't go in a car, for example, your fatass! lol)
and simply drive the car when it's alittle colder.
what i thought he was asking is what kinda of performance mods can he do at his house on his own.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:52 PM

im probably crazy but i would say the grounds make a difference, i work in a stereo shop and always have 1-2' extra of 4gauge wire and i figured what the hay, why not. and on my automatic 'teg it fixed the shift indicator light(for some reason it never lit up for D4 but everything else did), and in my 5-speed civic it corrected the cold idle, if it actualy makes for more power that is one that someone should sent to myth busters, heck ill let them use my civic as the test car!

Old 06-17-2007, 09:39 AM

thanx guys its all helpin. i have i/h/e. my header is already wrapped. does dropping the intake down through the fender actually make more of a difference instead of that simple single bent pipe? and also i have some heavy guage wire left over from a stereo project where are ALL the grounds at? how much hp does takin the ac off actually free up?

Old 06-17-2007, 09:47 AM
HCF Member

There is not free way to make power with a civic and your sig is about one of the most blanket, moronic, import fanboy statements I have seen in a while. I know some Trans Am's that will smash on hondas overall not just in a line.