Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Engine heating - Thermostat replacement

Old 06-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Default Engine heating - Thermostat replacement

Hi,

While driving today ('97 Honda Civic LX), my oil pressure light went on. I was due for an oil change, so figured that's what i need and changed the oil, topped off coolant (The engine was very hot and had to wait for sometime) After driving for a bit, i noticed that the engine has heated up beyond the H mark. (Had never noticed it before) As I was trying to park, the check engine light went on. I parked and waited for a bit before taking it to the nearest auto repair center (<0.5 miles away).

The diagnosis was that one of the heater/radiator hoses was leaking and I need to replace the hose, thermostat. I was told that the oil pressure light might have come on due to the thinning of the oil when the engine heated up. So my question is, how easy is it to do the recommended repairs? I can't pay $300 to get it done. I have replaced a heater hose before

I know that there is a chance the head gasket, and worse the engine, is damaged. Is there any way to find out the extent of damage? Keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks

Old 06-11-2011, 04:12 PM

UPDATE: (May help others in a similar situation)

Replaced the bypass hose, thermostat and coolant (May be the thermostat was OK but whatever) for ~50$ instead of $300+ quoted by XYZ. It was pretty easy! Drove for 10+ miles a couple of times, no signs of coolant loss or any other engine problems.

I was really concerned that the engine might have been damaged after going through all the online discussions. As my friend put it "If you believe everything you read on the internet then you will be convinced that you're possessed by the devil because of an overheated engine"

Old 06-11-2011, 06:03 PM

I would monitor your coolant level for the next month or so, and watch for oil in your coolant overflow container. Running the engine when overheated is an easy way to warp the head or block. If you stopped in time, you're probably fine.