Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

first question, new member

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 06:57 PM
HCF Member
Default first question, new member

Hello, everyone,

I finally ditched the "family" car and bought my own (with my own money, thank you) 1999 Civic. Its a VP, has the cosmetic spoiler, AC, and automatic transmission. It's an improvement in speed from the old 99 tacoma, but now I'm starting to think of some ways to improve in the speed department. The engine in it now is a D16Y7. I've been researching outside of this website, and the B16A caught my eye. My question is will the B16A fit in my car? I have a feeling it will but would like some experienced opinions as well. My main concern is over its compatibility with the AT.

Money is a little tight, since I bought it pretty recently. For now I'm looking into cold air intakes and exhaust systems to hold me over to I can afford an engine upgrade. My next question is what diameter pipe will bring the back pressure down to the level giving me the best performance?

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Default RE: first question, new member

If you do a motor swap I HIGHLY suggest swapping the trans to a manual. An AT trans civic is never going to make you really happy in the "speed department". As for now I'd either save up for the swap, buy new suspension components (will give you most noticable improvement) or sell the car and buy a manual trans. EX. Good luck with whatever route you take

Old 09-18-2007, 07:49 PM
HCF Member

I realize the AT is a glaring weakness. I looked at the engine swap forum and saw the B16A2 swap kit with the tranny and works. the $2500 price tag is more than I have now but I would much rather buy this and keep my current car; the only ding is a slight dimple by what looks to be from a shopping cart. I also appreciate having 4 doors. Coming from a tiny single cab truck this is a lot of space and I like it.

It feels like I'm trying to put off an engine upgrade, but just out of curiosity, would a cat-back upgrade of the exhaust be a reasonable decision?

*EDIT*
Was browsing streetimmports.com, found this kit : http://www.streetimports.com/product_details.asp?id=950 it says 92-95, but I think I saw a guy on here put it in a later year (I have a 99.) Would it fit?

Old 09-19-2007, 08:14 AM
HCF Member

Well If you get intake/header/exhuast put on it will not fir the b series engine except the exhuast but it wont be to good becuase it will be a little small piping wise. If you are going to stick with your D16Y7, I personally would suggest getting intake first. AEM makes a good intake
$150 thats for the SRI anyway. Then get headers ($160-300) and exhuast ($200-$600) all of what should net you about another 12-20 whp. I would also suggest doing a mini-me swap (Puting a D16Y8 head on the d16y7) basically you bolt on another 15-20 HP. Well if you have any more questions let me know.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:49 AM
HCF Member

I lookedat the mini-me swap, looks interesting. But if i went with all those upgrades I would be $1500, and with the same engine I started with. I have 103xxx miles on it, which isntalot by Honda's standards, but again, its used, and I don't know how the prev owner treated it. The B16A would bring my car from 106 to 170 hp, for 2500. Its more expensive, but I am going to drive the car for years to come, and getting all new (or less used)transmission, motor, axlesand suspension seems like it would serve me better. Anyone else know for sure if the B16A will fit my 1999 civic?

Old 09-19-2007, 09:12 AM

A B16A will certainly fit in your civic, just remember that it does take work to put in and if you're not going to do it yourself it's going to run you 5-800 bucks depending on where you get it done. You'll need B series motor mounts, new axels, wiring harness, ECU, half shaft, trans, and all the essential components for the engine. Again though, if you do swap I really do suggest that you switch to a manual, from what I've heard it's not all that difficult to do and the end result is more than worth it! (BTW, I also drive a sedan, and love it too!) If you're going to swap anyway I really suggest that you don't spend ANY money on your current motor, it's just not worth it, do suspension and cosmetic upgrades instead, it will give you a much better feel of improvement. A header intake and exhaust will not give you 20 more HP, I'd say it'd give you 10hp TOPS. Just because websites and companies clame an intake will give you 10hp, doesn't mean it will

Old 09-19-2007, 09:26 AM
HCF Member

Oh yes, I'm definitely going to go manual once I change the motor. As for cosmetic upgrades... I want my car to look stock. I've always been a fan of function over form.I'll think about suspension, and maybe buy it whileI'm saving up forthemotorswap.Theautoshop teacher from my old highschool started his own garage, specializing in toyotas. I would ask him for help first, because I want to learn as much as possible. The kit on streetimports comes with tranny, axles, half shaft,motor mounts, and headers. I think it also has the ECU, which is a plus. But for now, I'm happy with my D series, it gets me around and I get 35 mpg on average (I do a lot of highway driving.)

By the way, are any of you guys in CA? I'm trying to get into Autocross, one of my buddies in San Diego does it.

I also like paintballing, so if any of you guys are ever in San Luis Obispo, CA, pm me and I'll meet you at the paintball park

Old 09-19-2007, 10:03 AM

I wish I lived in CA! lol, sounds good though man, I like the stock/clean look myself, only exterior mods on my car are headlights, taillights, and wheels. But definatly look into some suspension, I've got the cheapest spring/shock setup out there, the Tokico HP and it does wonders! I got mine for $300 new from a friend, keep your eyes open and you can find some killer deals! After springs and shocks you should look into stuff like strut bars, tie bars and sway bars, they're all fantastic for Autocrossing. DEFINATLY save up for that motor though, and look into some alternate motors too, like b18's or b20's because they have more tourque which is a plus for autocross.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i wouldnt waste my time with a b16, i would go with a b18c1 or a b18b1 and boost it for the price of the b18c1

Old 09-19-2007, 02:42 PM
HCF Member

How important is having OBD2. and shift linkage, if the engine comes with tranny? Im looking at the B18C1. I wish I had seen this engine earlier, I like its hp and torque better than the B16A. The B18C1 will still fit my car as long as I buy motor mounts along with it right?

*edit* I just read the sticky in Swap Meet forum about mounting brackets, I should be OK.

*2nd edit* check this out found a handy chart online http://www.enginereplacement.com/htdocs/chart.htm

Quick Reply: first question, new member