Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

GSR vs Type-R engines

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Banned
Default GSR vs Type-R engines

I was wondering if there is any benefit tostarting withthe B18C5rather than getting a B18C1 engine.My understanding is that theblocks are the same, the pistons are different (Type-R higher compression), and the head is different. What about getting a B18C1 and putting the Type-R pistons and cams in it? What if I decide touse aTC later? I'm thinking that the higher compression pistons would not be as suitable and would need to be changed, so the B18C1 would be better here; however, the pistons from the B18C1 may need to be changed as well to use with a TC. I'm not sure what the best compression ratio is for turbo, but I was guessing somewhere between 8:1 and 9:1, unless you go with low boost (around 7psi). Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Default RE: GSR vs Type-R engines

The type r is so expensive that I just don't think it's worth the extra money. Plus 5-7 psi is all you are going to be able to run if you do turbo. I'd say GSR then decide if you want to go N/A or turbo. With a GSR 8-10 psi will be ok with a tune. The biggest plus is with the 1500-2000 dollars cheaper a GSR is you can make it more than the type r just with that money. If you know you want to turbo, you can save alot of money by going with a B18B.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:01 PM
HCF Member

changing a gsr motor to a ctr is near the cost of just buying the ctr motor.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:13 PM
Banned

I'm leaning toward using a TC, but what about the limitations of the B18B: weaker rod bolts, less reliable at higher RPM's, etc.? Are these only issues at higher RPM's, and not so much with the HP produced? Personally, I'd rather make the higher HP at a lower RPM (saves wear) if possible. Also, would the turbo B18B be okay with a VTEC head or should it stay non-VTEC? What about the B20B? Isn't it basically a bored-out B18B?

Old 05-24-2007, 03:52 PM

Increased piston speed increases wear as well...

How involved of a build are you looking to do? You seem to want an optimum set up. No one single B-series will give you that imo. I'm all about getting the most out of, well, anything though. You should see my bicycle.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Kedawei

How involved of a build are you looking to do? You seem to want an optimum set up. No one single B-series will give you that imo. I'm all about getting the most out of, well, anything though. You should see my bicycle.
You are correct . . . I am looking to build an optimum setup. I'm just trying to figure out where I should start. I'd love to be very fast in a straight line, but I'm more of a cornering fool, so track racing is what I am building for. I will be working on suspension all along, but I want to take my time and build the motor right and then drop it in, have it tuned, etc. By the way, thanks to everyonefor all the help.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:02 AM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Sean Foster

I'd love to be very fast in a straight line, but I'm more of a cornering fool, so track racing is what I am building for.
personally I'd forget about the turbo then. Pick up a bare GSR or ITR block/head, raise the compression, build the head, get some cams, and get it tuned. if you do it right you'll get a super smooth torque curve that's a ton of fun to drive

Old 05-25-2007, 10:25 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: mxs

If you do it right you'll get a super smooth torque curve that's a ton of fun to drive
Good idea that I didn't even think of . . . a smoothe torque curve is important for racing. To win, you've got to push it to the limit and you're already on the verge of breaking loose. The last thing you want to do in a curve is to steeply increase torque. Thanks for the great idea. I think I've decided to go theN/A route. Now the question is: should I go with a Spoon B18C or the B18C5 from a junk yard and have it built?

Old 05-25-2007, 10:33 AM
mxs
HCF Member

build it yourself, it's more fun. [8D]
you'll have a hell of a time finding one in a junkyard though.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Snail'n Admin

ORIGINAL: Kedawei

I want to see this bicycle now..

Quick Reply: GSR vs Type-R engines